Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  66
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: e-Cruiser version 1.0 build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mpipes View Post
    The chain on a sprocket is nowhere near as noisy as the chain riding against the polyethylene plastic chain guides on most bikes. Eliminate that block and you eliminate a lot of noise. If you need a chain tensioner, use an idler sprocket.

You can also build a chain guard that will not only keep things safe from getting caught in the chain, but deflect some of the noise as well.
    thanks for the advice. And i'll try to build something around the motor and drive sprocket to absorb some of the noise coming from there as well, although i need the motor to be ventilated for sure.

I read there are chain lubricants that make less noise than others ? At least according to my experience with a bicycle...not sure if this is possible for a motorbike.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    You should PM frodus on this forum about the AC-20. Not sure if he is willing to do international, but he should be able to get you a good deal on those motors and controllers. He's a good guy to deal with.
    Thanks man. Appreciate feedback.

I have actually done international shipping with these. Coninsan has an AC15 rotor and end-cap from me. I'll have to ship it here first then ship to you but I am willing to work with you on this. My prices are competitive.

www.emf-power.com

Really looking forward to this build either way.

Let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like

So, today is Day One of my project,
    brought the frame and rear wheel home to check if my mock up batteries fit in:

- the goods news is that i can fit 8 packs of 90Ah Winston, cool, that's 50% more energy than the 8x60ah GBS i thought i could fit,
    and i will definitely need more energy, and this is the less good news of the day:
    the weight of the frame (incl rear wheel and front fork) is 106 kgs !!! 233 lbs !!!
    Here is the thing in video to give a better idea:

My weight budget goes like this for the moment:
    rolling chassis 107
    batteries 99
    bms+display 3
    cables 5
    controller 5
    motor+plate 26
    sprocket + chain 5
    brake calipers 10
    DC-DC conv 1
    contactor 2
    other mechanical 30
    other electrical 5
    body 10

sub-total kgs 308
    lbs 678

driver kgs 75

total kgs 383
    lbs 843

Please anyone, tell me I'm crazy to build such an heavy bike for electric....
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mockup completed, with Curtis controller and AC-20 motor.
    space is tight, but i added 1cm to most components of the mockup, so i have some more margins,
    Now what, i order the whole thing ?
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I would advise starting with the just the motor. Get it mounted and driving the rear wheel, before doing the final configuration of the batteries.

Also, can you post some still shots of the motor shaft location relative to the swingarm pivot? From the video, it's hard to tell. Are you planning on mounting the motor to the swing-arm assembly or to the frame?
    Last edited by ZoomSmith; 26 March 2012 at 0932.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomSmith View Post
    I would advise starting with the just the motor. Get it mounted and driving the rear wheel, before doing the final configuration of the batteries.

Also, can you post some still shots of the motor shaft location relative to the swingarm pivot? From the video, it's hard to tell. Are you planning on mounting the motor to the swing-arm assembly or to the frame?
    thanks for the advice,
    i attach a picture, fish eye lens, showing swingarm pivot and motor shaft.
    It's tight but the mockup is about 1 cm bigger than reality in all directions.

From what i see i can mount the motor to the frame or to the swingarm.
    Which configuration is best ? I hear it's better to minimize unsprung weight, so frame is best ?
    But you see that motor cage is not far from swingarm pivot, so maybe with the movement of the suspension the motor will touch it,
    need to mount the suspension and measure the play here,

I'm planning to use a sprocket and chain first to see which ratio fits my needs, then if it's not too noisy we leave it like this, else we try to use a pulley and jackshaft.

thanks for your advice.
    swingarm.jpg
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    i think this motorcycle is gonna be very very kewl...
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    But you see that motor cage is not far from swingarm pivot, so maybe with the movement of the suspension the motor will touch it, need to mount the suspension and measure the play here,
    The way you have it located in the mockup, the motor will have to be mounted on the swing-arm. To mount on the motor in the frame, you will need to drop it down and forward about 10cm, so the rear axle, swing-arm pivot and motor shaft are basically lined up.

If you have to mount to the swing-arm, that's not too bad of a spot, just make sure you account for it when tuning your rear suspension.

Post Thanks / Like
    While minimizing un-sprung weight is usually desirable I think that in this case packaging might be more important than optimizing the suspension. You are not building a track bike so suspension that reacts more slowly is not as big of a deal. Some people build hard tail bikes and opt out of suspension completely!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on getting the go-ahead for your build. This is the style of build I'm most interested in, so thanks for all your documentation. Love the look, but OMG... rolling chassis, US > $27K? Ouch!

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast