Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guerrilla charging

Post Thanks / Like

Guerrilla charging

Today I went hiking at a county park. The place was deserted, as it usually is on a weekday. While hiking around I was also looking for active wall outlets to be used for guerrilla charging when I ride my Zero down there. I found a few at vacant picnic shelters and one in a bathroom. I used an old glow nightlight to check for active outlets. Attached are photos.

Looking for random public electrical outlets is like looking for Easter eggs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richard230; 19 April 2012 at 1552.

2. Likes seanece liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guerilla charging, or its more commonly known - stealing. You do have permission from the outlets owner to use it don't you, because your post kind of hints that you don't?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky_mark View Post
    Guerilla charging, or its more commonly known - stealing. You do have permission from the outlets owner to use it don't you, because your post kind of hints that you don't?
    Man that's harsh Did you ever plug in a laptop at a airport or see others do it no one considers that stealing.
    If the outlets is easy access to the public, is in a public park, and not labeled for park personnel use only then it's not stealing sure seems like the outlet next to a park bench is for public use. I do this all the time, if I feel the outlet is private I ask for permission.
    Trying to Change the old school ways of doing things
    But I never Never try to break the laws of Physics
    http://www.enertrac.net
    http://www.evalbum.com/preview.php?vid=1543
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEldNmBgIF0
    http://www.evalbum.com/2568

5. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't use an electrical outlet at a private business without asking, but this is a public park and if you ask, you will not get an answer because there will be no establish policy to permit EV charging. It is better to just do it on the sly. A 50-cent increase in the County's electric bill won't be noticed and the ranger won't have to make a decision which will make him happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinkgs can be a bit different in the UK. I have seen coin operated power in homes when I spet some time there in 1999.

If I am visiting a park in my county then my taxes (even optional parks and recreational licence tabs) are part of what keeps the power on in the first place. Also at our national average power rate your talking something between $0.15-$0.20 USD per hour that your plugged into one of those 120v 15amp outlets. Heck if they are smart this type of thing should be encouraged to help increase usage of the parks and there by helping to increase funding to it.

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeezmour View Post
    Thinkgs can be a bit different in the UK. I have seen coin operated power in homes when I spet some time there in 1999.

If I am visiting a park in my county then my taxes (even optional parks and recreational licence tabs) are part of what keeps the power on in the first place. Also at our national average power rate your talking something between $0.15-$0.20 USD per hour that your plugged into one of those 120v 15amp outlets. Heck if they are smart this type of thing should be encouraged to help increase usage of the parks and there by helping to increase funding to it.
    Your taxes also pay for the parks vehicles, but I wouldn't suggest taking one of them for a joy ride. Personally I wouldn't have a problem hooking up to an unmarked outlet on the basis that if a parks employee saw it they'd most likely a. ask about the bike, b. turn a blind eye or c. kindly ask me to unplug, in that order. I don't think the risk is a substantial one, unless of course the outlet hasn't been maintained and you trip a breaker or burn down the building.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there's quite a bit of difference too, between commandeering a vehicle that is clearly intended for use by park personnel and making use of the public electrical outlet in the public building in the public park, which is clearly there for use by the public. Sure, that bike will probably pull a few more AH than the architect probably envisioned when he put in the specs to place an outlet in the open air picnic shelter, he (or she) was probably thinking more along the lines of a blender or a TV and VCR, but this is a far cry from cracking open a janitor's closet to wheeze the juice from an outlet. It is clearly an outlet meant for public use.
    Sensei - Electric Ninja 250

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billmi View Post
    but this is a far cry from cracking open a janitor's closet to wheeze the juice from an outlet.
    Nice reference buuuudy

11. Likes billmi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    4cc5b09b70f38.jpgAgreed on th

13. Likes billmi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky_mark View Post

Can you tell me what is stolen? No electrons from their outlet entered his battery. It's actually an isolated path.

If you walk past someone playing music aloud, did you steal it by hearing it? Can music be stolen, or only shared?

When someone makes a park, how do they justify it's existence and upkeep expenses? How do they justify paying a janitor to come clean the bathroom once in a while?

The answer is of course, those things all just exist to be enjoyed. By enjoying the services of a park, you justify it's existence. Enjoying the power outlet's services for two hours while relaxing in the park, 2kwhr billed at a municipal rate likely under $0.10, but let's say it's $0.15 for this example, the power bill rose by $0.30. What makes this different from someone flushing the toilet a few extra times? Or a kid playing football on the field who runs over the chalk-lines on the grass, mussing them so it takes 5 minutes of some gardeners time to re-chalk that area.

Speaking of gardener's labor, what about when folks play a game on the grass, rooting about and tearing up the grass a bit each day until it's mud and dirt in places and they pay someone to come re-seed or lay new sod in that area? The games being played on the grass justifies the existence of the grass, but also costs the park service money as it's used. But if nobody plays there... the park can't justify it's own existence, and it's entirely a waste of money.

There is a balance. The outlet was put in the park for the same reason the park was created. For someone to use it.

15. Likes Richard230, chef liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast