Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  39
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Voltron II - I shall call her... Voltron Evo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,

It's been a wild ride for Team Voltron of late. Sadly, a miscarriage ended the pregnancy, so that left us a bit rocked for a while. We also have no jobs, so while desperately applying for jobs I had an offer from ANU in Canberra. 2 year contract, no security, write your own grants etc (same as anywhere in academia). I was unsure what to do, particularly since we don't fancy leaving WA. Then I had a chance to work offshore! I had my first week-long swing on board the Skandi Singapore doing maintenance on their ROV systems. Fascinating work, great guys to work with and the pay is pretty sweet. So I said sign me up for more!

Now, with the prospect of a good cash injection, I could start to make plans for Voltron-Evo. The best news so far is that a fellow AEVA member is willing to fund the construction of my Li-Po battery pack! Yes, someone is willing to spend $7000 on my bike! We have placed an order for 750 LiPo cells. 540 of these are for my bike (504 plus spares) and the rest are for a couple of e-bike projects.

And today I had a call from Brett Sutherland - he's getting a PM150DZ inverter sent from Oregon next week So I will have cells, inverter, chassis... I will soon have a bike!

Some pictures:

Tank plug is done, now I need to get the mould and final cover made.
    Tank plug done 002.jpg

I discovered a CBR929 shock will fit nicely if I adjust the linkage ratio. Just need some 10 mm ally to finish the job.
    New link and shock 002.jpg

Danny Ripperton finished the sprocket for me:
    New link and shock 004.jpg

I'm thinking of getting tricky with the pump for the motor coolant and running a short convective loop on the inverter since I'll hardly be tickling it. The motor needs it's own coolant loop though. Getting ever closer to the goal!

2. Likes Nuts & Volts, SplinterOz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everyone,
    Been a while since the last update, but if you really want to find out you can go to ES and read it there. However the most important news is that I have secured a sponsor for this year's racing! So I have all the ingredients, I just need to get cracking and make it

Some pics:
    Inverter arrived.jpg
    Wow this thing is TANK!

Q1 battery construction 002.jpg
    One quarter of the battery half way done...

Now the important news - O'Hanlon Electric Motorsports will be unveiling Voltron Evo in full livery on Tuesday night, the 3rd of June at The Bird, William Street Northbridge (Perth). We'll be sending invites out soon, but it will also be a fundraiser for the year's racing too. A percentage of beer sales can go to the cause and cash donations are always welcome. There's a good $15k in logistics so we're doing our best.

Voltron Evo, coming to a track near you!

The bike will be operational and track tested by this point, and it should be ready for packing up and sending across the country for the first race.

4. Likes tomdb, Hugues liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit SplinterOz's Youtube Channel
    This is such great news! I am really looking forward to the first race this year!!
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital
    http://rgelectric.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    A few pictures of the finished bike:
    Decals on 001.jpg

Decals on 002.jpg

Short ride-by to prove it does move
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIKRARe-qKs

7. Likes CaptainKlapton, Spoonman, Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    An absolutely huge well done!! Massive effort. You've definitely overcome some serious hurdles.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Well what a hoot! Round one of the Australian eFX Championship has been and gone, and the O'Hanlon Electric Motorsport sponsored Voltron Evo couldn't have had a better run. Our rider, Danny Pottage was mixing it up with Danny Ripperton for two amazing races, but the outright power of Voltron meant he could always get in front for the win. Come race three Pottz was starting to learn the circuit - dropping 2 seconds a lap to put in a 1:24.9 on just his 15th ever lap of Queensland Raceway. Race 4 was a bit of a procession, but at least we had all 5 bikes on the grid - two Varley machines, Catavolt, Ripperton and Voltron Evo.

SplinterOz snapped some wicked photos of the racing:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/splint...7645434972333/

While the last race can be seen here on screen one at about 53 minutes:
    http://www.fxsuperbikes.com.au/?page_id=588

Massive thanks to Danny P for riding like a boss, Danny R for providing some stiff competition, Alex, Jason and Mario for helping us fill a grid. I hope the Varley guys get their machines working soon.

Here's a Dyno run of Voltron Evo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Zd...ature=youtu.be

And the plot - 184 hp on a half-drained pack

Some very happy e-moto addicts. Left to right: Chris Jones (me) Mike O'Hanlon and Danny Pottage

Roll on Winton!

10. Likes Spoonman, robo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Mate, great payback for all the work you've put into this project !
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit SplinterOz's Youtube Channel
    Note more photos uploaded... pits shots and behind the scenes goodness. https://www.flickr.com/photos/splint...7645434972333/
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital
    http://rgelectric.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome result and congrats on great end product you've created.

From the looks of the dyno plot it seems you still haven't mastered the field weakening of the motor? Any idea why?
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Incredible! Fantastic! Increditastic! Fantasdible! Congratulations man!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast