Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  18
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: 7 EVs to compete at Pike's Peak - Aug 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    It is nice to see the number of Zero's entered in the race. I think they did pretty well, considering they are based upon a production motorcycle and likely didn't have a whole lot of money dumped into the bikes for the race.

All of the cars running in the race looked like they weren't exactly street legal and were not something that the average guy could head on down to the local motorcycle shop and afford to buy.
    The Lightning is a production motorcycle...technically. I mean yeah, the Zero's are much more of a true production bike. But the Lightning is, what, $35,000? For a bike that can set a 10.00 on PP (and has a 100+ mile range)? That's pretty mind blowing.

The other cares are definitely not street legal - it's the *unlimited* class.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

teddillard
    So what did Lightning finally place? It looked to me like they didn't - am I missing something? I'll tell you what - motorsports and racing in general has suck coverage, even by their own channels.

OK, just found this on Wired: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/07...kes-peak-2013/

...and this on AR: http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/raci...-race-results/

OK, got it:
    Exhibition Powersports
    Carlin Dunne – 10:00.694, 9 overall
    Jake Holden – 10:24.058, 15 overall
    James Compton – 10:33.832, 20 overall
    Last edited by teddillard; 01 July 2013 at 1436.

Post Thanks / Like
    9th overall. It's on the PPIHC website. Would have been 1st in motorcycle 1205 class, but they were in exhibition.

http://livetiming.net/ppihc/

There was coverage online by Red Bull (that I linked to). They stopped coverage shortly after Loeb's run. PP has never had good coverage - this is the first time they had streaming of any kind, other than Youtube videos 3 days later, and I had to search for it (it wan't linked from the main page).
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Ted,

All the electric vehicle times were on the link I posted.

http://insideevs.com/nobuhiro-monste...erall-wvideos/

Post Thanks / Like
    Dunne didn't beat his own previous record of 9:52.819...but he beat the other 1200s by 20 sec. They were saying the course was less grippy than usual due to a lot of rain over the last few days.

I gotta say, as much as I love EV's, a year ago I did NOT think they were going to be so dominant. Tajima came in 5th overall. 2 years ago he would have set a course record (beating his own), and last year his time would have put him in 3rd overall.

The top two ICE vehicles also made a quantum leap, but I have a feeling electrics are going to get better faster. Lightning and Tajima are both small operations. Toyota and Mitsubishi did well, but not that well, so you get the sense they weren't putting their all into it. Imagine if they put the same effort into their electrics as Peugeot did into Loeb's car. The race organizers will have to keep electrics separate just so the ICE categories don't get pounded by them.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

teddillard
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    Ted,

All the electric vehicle times were on the link I posted.

http://insideevs.com/nobuhiro-monste...erall-wvideos/
    Cool, sorry. Missed that. (I thought your post's link was something about batteries...)
    Last edited by teddillard; 02 July 2013 at 0208.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow harlan On Twitter Add harlan on Facebook
    Visit harlan's Youtube Channel
    Hi everybody. I'm finally mostly caught up with emails so thought I'd drop by elmoto a noticed a couple of posts on Pikes Peak and figured I'd chime in.

I couldn't be happier with the results of Sundays race. Although we might not have been the top elmoto, our team with their production based Zero bikes held their own. Our team, mostly comprised of amateur racers, landed in the middle of the pack in this race that can only be described as extreme. Out of 83 bikes, our top rider, Jeff Clark (of cleffjark elmoto fame) placed in the top half, a respectable 40th overall beating out plenty of the high displacement supermotos, superbikes, etc and would have put him on the podium of a few of the motorcycle classes. Not bad for a low budget effort running a lightweight, production electric motorcycle. We did implement a number of performance modifications to help his battle up the hill, but fell short on time and were unable to upgrade it to the extent that we had hoped. No doubt we will be better prepared for next year's race!

Much respect to Lightning and Carlin Dunne. Richard Hatfield has developed a superb machine, but there's no sense in comparing this prototype machine to the production Zeros that anybody can purchase from a Zero dealer. I also would like to recognize Amarok's effort. Although expert racer Michael Leon would not have stood a chance against our amateur racers on their production Zero bikes, I think what Michael Uhlarik and Amarok are doing is exceptional and hope this experience does not discourage them from continuing to develop their electric superbike.

Post Thanks / Like
    AWESOME work Harlan...congrats on the Zero's making it up in totally respectable times (you beat Chip Yates' time, so feel free to gloat a little )

Obviously most of the attention is on Lightning, but I have to say that opening up a whole new class for elmotos is a huge accomplishment as well. Paves the way for a lot of people, and makes me even more excited for next year.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow harlan On Twitter Add harlan on Facebook
    Visit harlan's Youtube Channel
    Thanks, Noah!

We're obviously very excited about the results, not trying to downplay them at all. I think just the fact that all six bikes finished the race, even after three of them were crashed during practice, is a testament to just how well built and how reliable these bikes are.

You can read the full press-release from Zero here:
    http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/press...K%2BMiles%2BUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice.

It's not totally clear to me what the entrance criteria are for the Z class. Any limitations other than being 100% electric?
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast