Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Polytechnic State University

Post Thanks / Like

Southern Polytechnic State University

Hello friends. SPSU finally has an Electric Motorcycle Team, in which we hope to race a couple (if not more) of the 2013 North American TTXGP races, and maybe some sort of University get together as Kyle (Nuts&Volts) talked to me about.

I'm going to keep this post simple for now, as I'm not sure we can divulge too much info because certain things are still in the works. We currently have the chassis, which needs minor work such as brakes, fork rebuild, etc. That part is cake, seeing as our AMA rider/ motorcycle shop owner/ fellow MET student is taking care of all of that. As far as the build goes, we are looking to get the lightest possible weight out of this motorcycle that we can. Isn't everybody? We are aiming for under 400 lbs race ready. I have been talking to a couple different motor manufacturers, but nothing is set in stone yet. We're hammering hard on sponsorship as well. Need to find a few companies to get on board with us before we can finalize anything.

It's taken a while just to get this point, as a lot of yelling had to be done around campus to get the deans on board with this project. We've also got a team building an electric go kart for the EV Grand Prix at Purdue University. So that'll be cool as well. I will update as soon as progress is made. We've got a great team of students that are ready to work hard on this bike.

-Tyler

SPSU_LOGO_RGB.jpgkr1-2.jpgkr1-4.jpg

2. Likes Skeezmour, Richard230, seanece liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well just a small update, we were graciously given 3 Zero packs from a local Motorcycle Dealer, however, I think we're going to let the Go-Kart team use these cells. These would weigh far too much in order to build a 7.5 kwh pack or greater for the bike. It will give us experience in learning about integrated packs, matching internal resistance, and gathering data from cycle tests.

20120924_125326.jpg20120924_125336.jpg20120924_125343.jpg20120924_125351.jpg

Found the problem in one of the packs. Each small white pack pictured is a 2s12p setup and most packs are between 7.5 and 7.8 volts and can be fixed through balancing, but the "problem pack" reads 4.7 volts. The lowest side in the pack reads .95 volts, so we'll see what happens when we charge it up, safely of course.

We are planning to use A123 AMP20 cells for our battery pack, along with BMS system built in house due to A. Costs and B. well, because its the SPSU way.

4. Likes seanece liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You EVGator - i wish you all the best - but since this is a University project, can you all work on solving the problem of extending the range of a charged battery pack... that would definitely be a kewl learning experience...
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Allen,

Of course we'll try to explore the possibilities of doing such, but I think we're going to focus more on cooling AC-Induction motors. Here is a COOL article that describes what Bowling Green did a few years back regarding "developing a unique liquid cooling system for induction motors that enables a highly power dense electric machine." We're thinking about doing something similar, but in our own style.

http://www.bgsu.edu/downloads/tech/file55536.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    That's a great paper. Written by the lightning motorcycle team. I know Jeff, Bob and Richard.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    An update regarding funding, Georgia Power, the biggest supplier of electricity at Southern Company has decided to fund us for the remainder of 2012, and will continue to fund us in 2013. Southern Company's Research and Development group may be interested in offering financial support as well for the 2013 season.

We are almost done with CAD work for the bike, and will then decide what parts to use for the bike accordingly. I apologize for the vague posts, but until everything is decided on, I can not really say anything. We expect to hit the build process hard in late dec./ early jan. and will have a lot of it up here when the time comes.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    We finally have a couple other sponsors, Storm Copper of Tennessee and Supertech racing from right here in metro Atlanta. We still have more funds coming from the school that will be available around June.
    The design work has been rigorous and long since there are only really four of us actually working steady on the project, while balancing the work with classes. We are aiming to compete at Indianapolis on August 18th, maybe Laguna Seca if we get the funds in time. Most of our parts have shipped and are on the way. It has been hard getting everything together as a first year race team, but we had to start somewhere. We'll likely be the underdog this year!

LiFePO4 a123 cells have been the easiest, and cost effective for us to get and the motor we go with is still up the air and depends on the sponsorship we receive in the next month and a half.
    The bike is very light weight as a 250cc chassis should be and should give us a nice weight advantage overall.

More updates to come.

https://twitter.com/SPSUEVT

http://spsu.orgsync.com/org/spsuevt

CAM00164.jpgCAM00168.jpgmoto1.jpgmoto2.jpg

10. Likes Nuts & Volts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some last minute funding. If you know of anyone who might want to help, please send them this way!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sp...cing/x/1682193

We've got some liquid cooling methods that will be useful to the DIY'ers. Especially folks with ac induction motors.
    Just need the money to buy the copper tubing, radiator, and other materials.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello All. It's been too long, and we've got some updates. We made it to the 2013 FIM eRoad-Racing event at Indy last August, despite having battery shipping delays, funding delays, etc. It was an interesting first year in electric racing, and we've learned a lot from that experience. I believe that every negative thing that happened to us in 2013, will allow us to positively make some changes and have an even better 2014 season.

The bike made just under 70 HP on the dyno at 118 Volts (around 3.9V per cell) and could have done better had we had time to fully charge it, but we had to take advantage of the time slot we had with the dyno at the time. We now have access to a dyno at anytime we want, which will allow us to tune and adjust a lot better this season. We suffered a ground clearance issue at Indy as the suspension compressed a certain way in that particular turn on the track and our controller scraped the ground, and lifting the rear wheel causing Caesar Gonzales (our rider and fellow student) to go down. Lean angle was determined in accordance with the clearance by one of the students, but did not stand true in that particular turn on the track. This is not a senior design project and a lot of us are only about halfway through engineering school, so we've still got quite a bit to learn.

So to summarize, the power was available to be able to keep up with the Zero's in the race, however, due to time constraint and lack of available help from students who went home over summer break, we suffered a few design issues which led to the eventual crash at Indy. But we had a great time nonetheless and met a lot of cool people.

Here are some pictures:1235437_241792985968379_1839290109_n.jpg

1240337_241792852635059_945512296_n.jpg

1174584_719226744760998_1825133023_n.jpg

1150907_719226734760999_1794723341_n.jpg

542251_241792609301750_1142108629_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by EVGator; 17 January 2014 at 1000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast