Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  166
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Terry "Off the Grid" goes XC on a Zero

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought this comment from Terry was interesting. Guerrilla charging at its best. :

There's a ChargePoint station at Oncor Electric in Big Springs TX I counted on using. But it is not only on the wrong place on the map, but behind a locked gate. I was empty and stuck. Found a truck service center and plugged into their welding outlet and am fast charging at the same rate now. I'm learning so much on this trip that electricity is everywhere, you just gotta be resourceful to find it.

Here are the latest photos from Terry's Facebook page.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the latest comment from Terry:

There are only 4 ChargePoint brand stations between Dallas texas and Tucson Arizona. That's 950 miles! Sadly none of those, all run by Oncor Electric between Big Spring, and Odessa TX allow the public to use their charging stations. My question is, if they are not for public use, why in the world are they on the map??? When planning my route across west Texas, I chose I-20 because of these charging locations. Good news is I made it to California for the important event today at 1 PM in Long Beach, CA. But I had to make a difficult choice...

It sounds to me like he had to abandon the rest of his trip in order to get to LA on schedule, but he doesn't explain just how he got to California by 1 pm yesterday.

Terry's latest photos are attached.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing rented car or catching a plane. No word yet on what the plans are from here - if Guinness will count the trip interrupted, or if he'll finish it out, and turn around to make the return trip in one go. That's the part of the trip where I figured charge locations would be the hardest to find. Cities are just further apart.
    Sensei - Electric Ninja 250

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a picture where his bike made it to the LA motorcycle show, but I haven't heard how he made it, did he manage to find charging stations? Anybody get an update from him?

teddillard
    Last position update was: "Currently about 20 miles from Temple, Texas. 2,513 miles on this trip since I left Orlando, Florida. The 15,795 miles was since I bought the bike in late April, 2012. I have about 1,500 miles to go to get to Long Beach, California!"

Also: "A world record was set, but it was not coast to coast yet, as I ran out of time to be in CA for the event yesterday. The trip was over 3000 miles and ended just short of the destination, and myself and the bike took a trip in a van. I am completing the coast to coast part on the way back in a few weeks. But getting here yesterday was most important."

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are photos of Terry in Long Beach. As you can see, he is pretty popular.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, when I was about 48 hours from needing to be there and still over 1000 miles to go (ok, cause I can go 500-700 miles a day when everything falls into place) but when charge stations i depended on started not working out, and other things, the cold decreased the range more than I expected riding through the night in 25-30 degree weather (and decreased my stamina) Jeremiah Johnson, who raced my bike in the TTXGP world final, flew to El Paso Texas, rented a minivan, loaded the bike and we drove to Hollywood Electrics Thursday night.
    Charging electric motorcycles Off The Grid in Orlando Florida

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    That's a bummer dude! Glad you made it though!
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys! Spending some time on the west coast with the electric cowboys in Hollywood then headed up the west ooast then headed to Scotts Valley, San Francisco and then back east!!

Last edited by gasfreeearth; 10 December 2012 at 1146.
    Charging electric motorcycles Off The Grid in Orlando Florida

10. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    oklahoma and texas has some awesome people living here, but they are not into EV's here - they really need to get their head out of their arse and start looking to the future a bit and quit kissing big oils butt and start providing for alternative transportations...

our ideal of advancement is going from big oil to big natural gas... its sad, but we are always the last to hop on board...
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

12. Likes gasfreeearth liked this post
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast