Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  26
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Farfles M1GP E-Supermoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you talk about the swing arms in the back ground? Or is it a new "top secret" project

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee1919 View Post
    Can you talk about the swing arms in the back ground? Or is it a new "top secret" project
    Those are swingarms I build for the guys over at endless sphere, they turn an inexpensive FS mountain bike into a badass machine that you can drop a serious hubmotor into without worrying about it tearing the dropouts out, or lifting the front end any time you get on the throttle, as they stretch the wheelbase by about 3"

Here is the sale thread for more info on them.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...508736#p508736

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the new gearing machined. The motor now has a total of five bearings in it. One 35x47x7 on the wire exit side, and then on the sprocket side it has a 25x47x12, a 25x32x16 needle roller, and then a pair of 25x37s, one of which is literally part of the sprocket. I think I am ready for the 101 ft/lb this beasty is going to make at the shaft. Right now its geared 30-72 and rev limited to an indicated 104 MPH .

Last edited by Farfle; 10 June 2013 at 1003.

4. Likes Skeezmour, Harold in CR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm super impressed with what you've built my friend! I can't wait to race with you!

Elmoto needs more ES level builds on it.

6. Likes Skeezmour liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Farfle,

I am a little confuse on your gearing? Is it geared for track (super moto) or balls out flat tracker? Isn't the ratio 3.5 to 1?

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee1919 View Post
    Hello Farfle,

I am a little confuse on your gearing? Is it geared for track (super moto) or balls out flat tracker? Isn't the ratio 3.5 to 1?

Tony
    Its geared for long track (Laguna seca). The reason the gearing looks so weird is that the motor is an outrunner, and it only spins at 3000 RPM. Its able to run with gearing that tall because its making .2ft/lb per amp, but 420 phase amps is going to make 85 ft/lb at the shaft. Which geared 30-72 still gives 205 lbs of thrust at the wheel. With the bike and rider at around 350 pounds that's around 2/3 G acceleration. Which isn't bad. If we gear it 21/72 (70 ish mph) for short track, it will makealmost 300 pounds of thrust, which puts us at almost 1G, which is 600cc streetbike fast. If only to 70
    Last edited by Farfle; 11 June 2013 at 1910.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by liveforphysics View Post
    I'm super impressed with what you've built my friend! I can't wait to race with you!

Elmoto needs more ES level builds on it.
    Thanks man, I am so excited to race at Laguna seca, this bike is the biggest baddest one yet, and my best effort as far as design and execution goes. Its ultra light, has great horsepower, pretty decent suspension that is getting more and more dialed in every day (thank you racetech) and to top it off its got telemetry and datalogging that rivals that of most TTXGP bikes. And almost all of it is based on open source hardware, and information given out by the online community, from miles helping me out with FEMM design to some random guy on supermoto junkie running up chain pull angle simulations for me.

Wow, that was a rant. Thanks everybody for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Farfle! Hopefully you will inspire a new breed of EV Cycle builders!

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!

I take it the rear brake line is flexible?

And it doesn't look like there's much slack in the chain, is this because it's an outrunner and doesn't need as much as a normal configuration?

Post Thanks / Like
    He doesn't need much slack because he has superior geometry.

On most motorcycles when the rear suspension flexes, the rear sprocket moves relative to the front sprocket. Since the distance between those points changes slightly, at times while riding there will be more slack than others. If you set it up with no slack when they are closest, the suspension couldn't swing out without snapping the chain, and it it was tightest at the farthest point, you'd still have slack at the closest.

Farfle has designed his frame and motor so that the front sprocket is centered on the swing arm's pivot point, so the distance between the sprockets does not change when the suspension flexes.
    Last edited by billmi; 13 June 2013 at 0506.
    Sensei - Electric Ninja 250

13. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast