Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Enertrac Dual 602 Hub Motors, 9.4KWh pack, 1993 Honda CBR600F2

Post Thanks / Like

Enertrac Dual 602 Hub Motors, 9.4KWh pack, 1993 Honda CBR600F2

Hello everyone!
    OK I will cut straight to the chase. I am converting a 1993 Honda CBR600F2.

--------------What I am looking for in this bike--------------
    1.(ORIGINAL) Range: 45 miles at 70-75mph, 60 miles at 45-50mph
    (NEW) Range: 55-60 miles at 75mph, 75 miles at 50mph
    2. (ORIGINAL) Acceleration: (ORIGINAL) 0-60mph in 6 seconds
    (NEW) Acceleration: 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds
    3. Sexy

DSC_6524.jpgDSC_6537.jpg

--------------What I Have--------------

1. Chassis: 1993 Honda CBR600F2

2. Motor: Enertrac's Dual MHM602 dual hub motors 20KW continuous
    (link: http://enertrac.net/product.php)

3. (ORIGINAL) Controller: Kelly KHB12801 144Volts, 800Amp maximum/400Amp continuous
    (NEW) Controllers: 2 Kelly KHB14601 144Volts (operational to 156V), 600Amps peak/250Amps continuous
    (link: http://kellycontroller.com/khb146012...gen-p-829.html)

4. (ORIGINAL) Batteries: 42 CALB CA70FI 70Ah batteries
    (NEW) Batteries: 37, 75Ah High Power LiNiMnCo Dow Kokam prismatic pouch cells.
    (link: http://www.dowkokam.com/data-sheets/...et_75Ah_HP.pdf)

5. (ORIGINAL) Pack: 134.4 volts, 9.4KWh
    (NEW) Pack: 149.85 Volts peak at 4.05Volts/cell, 136.9 Volts nominal, 10.2675KWh

It will be interesting trying to fit all those batteries in this frame. I have the ability to widen the frame to accommodate the batteries.

Here is what I have to work with.
    DSC_6825.jpgDSC_6832.jpg

I am also thinking about designing some custom fairings to fit the will-be bulging belly of this bike, but we will see.

I also hope to gather a bunch of Data on Marks dual 602 motor configuration so DIY'ers can have a little bit of real world data on hub motors But that is way in the future ;D

I sent the swing-arm off to Mark last week and by his estimations I should get it back with the controller, motor, wheel and break in 3 to 5 weeks. In the mean time, there isn't too much for me to do but I will try and keep up on the project and keep this post updated. I plan on having the project mostly completed by the end of the summer if everything goes according to plan (which it never does).
    Anyways, let me know what you all think! Any and all suggestions/criticisms are welcome!
    Last edited by theFREElaker; 08 August 2013 at 0740. Reason: The thread must be like the project: ever-changing

2. Likes billmi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    I'll be watching, I have an '87 F1 in a similar state. still deciding on components.

-Andrew
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Looks like a great build! What do you expect the target weight to be?

Post Thanks / Like
    You shouldn't have any trouble getting that kind of performance out of a 9 kWh pack. I wouldn't recommend the large format LiFePO4 though. If the budget can extend to the latest generation of Lithium polymer cells, I'd go for them to space on weight and space.

In my humble experience with electric motorcycle projects, volume is almost more important than weight. Because if it won't fit, it really doesn't matter how heavy it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skahle View Post
    Welcome! Looks like a great build! What do you expect the target weight to be?
    The target weight is around 550 pounds. Scary i know

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jonescg View Post
    You shouldn't have any trouble getting that kind of performance out of a 9 kWh pack. I wouldn't recommend the large format LiFePO4 though. If the budget can extend to the latest generation of Lithium polymer cells, I'd go for them to space on weight and space.

In my humble experience with electric motorcycle projects, volume is almost more important than weight. Because if it won't fit, it really doesn't matter how heavy it is.
    Yes I looked into that and read some and thought about it and read some more and decided I wasn't up for the challenge of trying to configure and manage 300+ cells. I agree with the volume concern, I think that will definitely be the toughest obstacle. But that being said, I'm even more afraid of fireball battery packs or failing cells because I didn't manage them properly. Maybe on the next conversion

Also, budget isn't as much of a concern with this build as attaining the specifications i listed above and of course safety, so I welcome any and all suggestions to better it.
    Last edited by theFREElaker; 11 May 2013 at 0931.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting project.

Please keep us posted.
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630, 5511, 5512

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by theFREElaker View Post
    Yes I looked into that and read some and thought about it and read some more and decided I wasn't up for the challenge of trying to configure and manage 300+ cells. I agree with the volume concern, I think that will definitely be the toughest obstacle. But that being said, I'm even more afraid of fireball battery packs or failing cells because I didn't manage them properly. Maybe on the next conversion

Also, budget isn't as much of a concern with this build as attaining the specifications i listed above and of course safety, so I welcome any and all suggestions to better it.
    There are other kinds of LiPo out there than the hobby stuff Other incarnations include LG, EIG and Raytech for LiMnO2 cells. They all pack >170 Wh/kg and modest C-rates, with EIG probably being the best out of that lot in terms of power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by theFREElaker View Post
    Hello everyone!

OK I will cut straight to the chase. I am converting a 1993 Honda CBR600F2.

What I am looking for in this bike:
    1. Range: 45 miles at 70-75mph, 60 miles at 45-50mph
    2. Acceleration: 0-60mph in 6 seconds
    3. Sexy

DSC_6524.jpgDSC_6537.jpg

1. Chassis: 1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2. Motor: Enertrac's Dual MHM602 dual hub motors 20KW continuous
    3. Controller: Kelly KHB12801 144Volts, 800Amp maximum/400Amp continuous
    4. Batteries: 42 CALB CA70FI 70Ah batteries
    5. Pack: 134.4 volts, 9.4KWh

It will be interesting trying to fit all those batteries in this frame. I have the ability to widen the frame to accommodate the batteries.

Here is what I have to work with.
    DSC_6825.jpgDSC_6832.jpg

I am also thinking about designing some custom fairings to fit the will-be bulging belly of this bike, but we will see.

I also hope to gather a bunch of Data on Marks dual 602 motor configuration so DIY'ers can have a little bit of real world data on hub motors But that is way in the future ;D

I sent the swing-arm off to Mark last week and by his estimations I should get it back with the controller, motor, wheel and break in 3 to 5 weeks. In the mean time, there isn't too much for me to do but I will try and keep up on the project and keep this post updated. I plan on having the project mostly completed by the end of the summer if everything goes according to plan (which it never does).
    Anyways, let me know what you all think! Any and all suggestions/criticisms are welcome!
    That will be a great project!

if you need parts i have a friend that have everything you need at great price (dual enertrack DU602) Kelly controller 144V 600A KDH serie, 44s2p 20Ah A123 cells cycle analyst, magura throttle shunt, HV fuse and more!

http://www.evalbum.com/3931

HE need to abandon his project due to personnal reasons.

PM me

Doc

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I've been working with Mark and Enertrac for a while, and they've always been great to work with. Is the motor water cooled? It probably should be because of all of the current required at low speeds. I'm in the process of getting my MH-602 converted to water cooled, hopefully that will help a bit. I may move up to the DU at some point too.

Good Luck! Keep us posted!
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast