Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  15
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Enertrac Dual 602 Hub Motors, 9.4KWh pack, 1993 Honda CBR600F2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jonescg View Post
    If your BMS does everything, including warning you of a low or high cell, monitors temperatures and bleeds high cells during charge, AND it fits comfortably, solidly and is waterproof, then go with that option. My suggestions were based on the assumption that you might not be able to fit it all on the bike. However your concern about the BMS draining cells during storage is real, and should you want to address that you could use a centralised system which can be unplugged from the battery. Otherwise you will just need to do a charge once a month or so.

There are more BMS projects and products out there than you can shake a stick at. Each time its improved with a new feature, that comes at the cost of simplicity and space. It's a minefield, and at some point you will find yourself wondering why we use them at all. But the options are endless and so are the opinions

Non-balancing, semi-centralised BMS example: http://zeva.com.au/Products/index.php?product=100
    Balancing distributed BMS example: http://ev-power.com.au/-EV-Power-BMS-Cell-Modules-.html
    Balancing semi-distributed BMS example: http://tritium.com.au/products/iq-ba...gement-system/
    Balancing distributed OR centralised BMS example: http://www.cleanpowerauto.com/MiniBMS.html

and so on... and on...

I should have room for it on my bike (totally an assumption) so I am not really worried about that, sorry about the confusion. Yea, I have read a bunch of random posts/opinions for and against BMS's but I came to the conclusion that I am trying to protect a VERY expensive investment so I definitely want a BMS. And then I have heard random things like the BMS being the reason for cell failure or fires so I want to go with a well respected, well tested BMS to avoid that best I can. That is why I was asking about the "god" among BMS's. I also want to couple the BMS with a nice charger to further reduce the risk of any potential fatal errors/failures.

So in your opinion, do you think the orion is a good BMS based on what I have specified I want/need? Do you think it is the best option (price aside)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by theFREElaker View Post
    ...2. I can use multi-pin connectors like this one Attachment 4745 to plug the BMS into this Attachment 4746 that is mounted on the battery box?

But again, completely with you on the ease of access/ease of use
    Hi,

I uses the Orion and I fitted each monitoring line with a water proof connector, like the AMP, grouped in 4 lines together.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    Hi,

I uses the Orion and I fitted each monitoring line with a water proof connector, like the AMP, grouped in 4 lines together.
    Really?? This is very cool!! Do you have any pictures? Maybe also a google image of the connectors? Did you do that so you could easily plug and unplug the BMS in? How has it worked out for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    WOOHOO Finally!! OK here is a what happened. UPS and Fedex were going to charge ~$450 to ship the crate with the swing arm, motors, wheel, tire, controllers etc from NY to KS. So i decide to look for a cheaper option and end up going with another shipping company that only charged me $205.00 but I had to pick it up from the terminals. Well about a week and a half ago (when it was supposed to arrive in KS) I go to the terminal and they tell me it isn't here and should be in in a few days. So I wait and nothing happens. I call them and they tell me that the package is "lost in transit". LOST!?!?!? my $8,000 crate is LOST somewhere in transit (no insurance on the thing, mind you). So I call them about 8 times and hassle them to find the darn thing. Eventually the manager contacts me and tells me its been located and is in the KS terminal. So anyways, I have it now but after soooo much stress!! Saved me ~$230 though

Here are some pics of the installed swing arm and my new hardware (like christmas!):

DSC_2003.jpgDSC_2005.jpgDSC_2007.jpgDSC_2012.jpgDSC_2014.jpg

And here is a link to a stop motion video of me installing it:

5. Likes Skeezmour, Hugues, picaroon, markcycle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    and here are the remaining two pictures (so annoying that you can only post 5 in one post....)

DSC_2017.jpgDSC_2018.jpg

7. Likes markcycle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How is this coming along?

Post Thanks / Like
    man that rear hub motor sure looks clean - im still considering the hub motor for my project... awesome build so far theFreelaker...
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you have two controllers?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Cause the hub has two motors

Post Thanks / Like
    Chris, they're lock sync'd so you use one controller, albeit larger controller.

Last edited by EV_Scoot; 13 February 2014 at 2238.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast