Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Motorcycle security

Post Thanks / Like

Motorcycle security

Here is a pretty decent and interesting article about how you can prevent the theft of your motorcycle, although (personally) I don't think there is much of a market for electric motorcycles or their parts yet. That would eliminate professional thieves and mean that you would only have to secure your motorcycle from the typical teenage "joyrider". Keeping it out of sight with a cheap cover is probably the best method to keep someone form messing with it - in my opinion.

http://rideapart.com/2013/05/how-to-...For+Leather%29

You will want to watch the video showing how many brands of large heavy chains can be cut in under a minute with just a set of large bolt cutters.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    A loud dog and this sticker are usually enough!
    national-rifle-association1.jpg
    "obstacles suck but challenges are fun"

3. Likes Skeezmour, EVGator, Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "If your reading this sticker your in range" works too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a tilt sensor and a loud siren laying around that I have thought of putting to use. Haha. Or you could have just one Big "Self-Destruct" timer in plain view that counts backwards from 10. Make it look scary with wires hanging out. Although that may get the feds called on you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over on the Sphere, I have been almost BEGGING someone to build an electronic deal that uses a car entry fob thingy, whatever. Can't recall the name. Anyway, it's that little black thing you mash the button to unlock your car.

I wanted that thing to be able to disconnect the ignition circuit, so, the rider will maybe do a faceplant on the roadway.

Down here, in Costa Rica, the thieves pull up next to a nice looking Moto, pull a pistol and demand the rider fork over his wallet and then they jump the Moto and ride off.

I was HOPING, something could be built that cuts off the ignition, and, at the same time, lock up the front wheel. Being dumped in front of a bus would be a GOOD thing. Just have to make SURE, you don't hit that little button, thingy.

I have a ready market, just don't know squat about Electronics.
    Last edited by Harold in CR; 23 May 2013 at 1442.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm positive that its possible. I actually install vehicle alarm systems and remote starts and the "key FOB" obviously has a limited range, but we sell a package that allows people to monitor and even start their car from anywhere via an app on their smart phone. You could program the brain of an alarm system to basically trigger a relay somewhere hidden in line with the system and it could kill the power system. If I had the time, I'd try to reverse engineer one of the brains that I have laying around and come up with a simple system. I'm not really a software guy though, so I'd have no way to make the app to do it. Of course this is useless if they steal your phone haha. This setup could be used to monitor location too, which is helpful if it gets picked up and thrown into a van never to be seen again..

Post Thanks / Like
    You are the first to respond to being able to do this. I have had advice on how to disable the ignition, but, I also want to prevent the bike being pushed away.

Down here, putting in a van or pickup is not as common as just point and ride away. Same son of the wife had a wreck with a drunk. We went to get the bike and put it in a flatbed Nissan pickup. 2 guys were grunting like crazy. I picked up the whole bike and they shifted the front wheel to go onto the truck bed. You shoulda seen the looks I got.

These are nearly ALL 125's with an occasional 250.

These people rely on Motos for work, as, most are couriers or delivery riders with decent bikes. My wife's son had this happen to him with a 6 month old bike. I want to HURT, BADLY the thieves. I HATES freakin thieves.

IF what you say is possible, ball park me an estimate of cost to Florida. I won't hold your feet to the fire. Just wanting ideas. IF madding something is possible for a dumbass, I could still purchase parts from you IF you could guide me to do the mods and keep the price low enough to help these people.

I'm not into making a killing doing this, just cover all expenses and a cup of coffee would be OK.
    Last edited by Harold in CR; 23 May 2013 at 1504.