Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Tesla Petition - sign before July 5

teddillard

Tesla Petition - sign before July 5

Go here to sign the Tesla direct dealership petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...tates/bFN7NHQR

Just do it.

2. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ted,

I didn't know that there is restrictions on Teslas sold to different states?

teddillard
    Here's a pretty accurate description of what's going on, from the way I understand it:
    http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/06/28/tesla...rs-of-america/

"Steve Chapman of the Chicago Tribune put the problem more simply: ”It’s about established businesses leveraging government power to enrich themselves.”

Probably a more balanced story from the WSJ:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...814606098.html
    Last edited by teddillard; 01 July 2013 at 1036.

5. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So what is the problem with Tesla selling through established dealers like Brammo and Zero do? Do they believe that established auto dealers won't understand the cars enough to service and maintain them, or is it that they can not find any existing franchised auto dealers that want to, or are permitted by their franchises, to sell another brand of car?
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

teddillard
    Simplest explanation I've seen: "How do you sell the future if your business depends on the present?" (Unnamed Tesla exec)

8. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richard230,
    You bring up an interesting point, how can a dealership that sells cars that run on gas/diesel sell an electric vehicle in the same showroom? For dealerships that have been around almost 100 years and made a lot of money won't exactly change the status quo.

Where is the next change really going to happen? Small independent shops/dealers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow only 5000 away!
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    102,000 as of.....now!
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630, 5511, 5512

Post Thanks / Like
    How could the federal government achieve the goals set out in the petition? The only way I can see that is passing federal legislation prohibiting states from preventing automobile manufacturers from owning dealerships, or stripping away their power to place limits (in CA, for example a factory owned store can't be placed within 10 square miles of a privately owned store).

That would open the doors for the vertical monopolies those laws were meant to protect against.

The states that have these laws not to protect good-old-boy dealers, but to encourage local private enterprise to develop. Factory owned stores can operate at a loss, by shifting what would normally be dealer level profit to the factory. That gives them an unbeatable business edge over locally owned stores. If I owned a car company, and made all the profit I needed to cover both my dealer operations and manufacturing design in my wholesale price, I could sell it retail in my stores at a loss and any privately owned retail stores couldn't stay in business if they matched the prices in my stores, and would lose customers to my stores if they priced in a viable profit margin.

Another driving factor for some of these laws is that by shifting the profit from the store to the factory, less federal, state and local tax revenues are generated. If a foreign auto manufacturer takes the profit at the factory and runs their dealers in other states at a loss, there's no revenue tax generated/paid by the dealership they own on US soil. This was one of the driving reasons behind California's legislation, and I'm sure it was the same in other states that prohibit or limit factory owned auto retailers.

For all the folks that complain about companies like WalMart coming in and driving out locally owned businesses, I don't think trying to open the automotive industry to the same sort of thing is something that would get through national legislation easily. With the federal government now a stakeholder in major auto manufacturers it might be easier to push through legislation that would help them crush private businesses around the country.
    Last edited by billmi; 04 July 2013 at 1256.
    Sensei - Electric Ninja 250