Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cheap and reliable DC/DC high voltage isolated converter

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap and reliable DC/DC high voltage isolated converter

Hello,
    I've used for 4 months a chinese DC/DC converter (from Chennic.com) on my bike to convert the 105v to 12v and it suddently stopped to work for no reason. I've tried to contact "Sharon Chen" from Chennic as it was still under waranty but he never replied me...
    So I've looked for a replacement converter and I found an European manufacturer which produce great converters : Victron Energy http://www.victronenergy.com/
    I've bought a 100W model at 119€ ~150$ which is able to take up to 120V on his input and it works pretty well, now since few weeks.
    So if you're looking for a reliable and not too expensive isolated converter for your project you may consider this manufacturer ; in any case avoid Chennic.
    PY
    Last edited by piwhy; 17 July 2013 at 0740.

Post Thanks / Like

Travis (frodus) was selling some dc-dc's for a while. I think they were larger (wattage) though.

Also, for that kind of money, get a vicor mega module.
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add PaulWay on Google+
    Visit PaulWay's Youtube Channel
    In Australia I've found PowerBox to be good - they have a lot of different options that you can then hunt down locally.

And oh, man! They've updated their interface! It's now far easier to find what you want. I wish I'd had this when I was looking.

I bought something similar to the Deutronic DVC-251 - 56-154VDC input, 12.5V 130W output, isolated, potted, totally weatherproof. I've mounted it on one of the aluminium plates that make up my battery frame, as it generates a surprising amount of heat when running. I'd like to have found a 13.5V output, but the site only took me so far.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by __Tango View Post
    Travis (frodus) was selling some dc-dc's for a while. I think they were larger (wattage) though.

Also, for that kind of money, get a vicor mega module.
    I agree, but for european that's not always profitable to buy american vicor converter.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter

Re: Cheap and reliable DC/DC high voltage isolated converter

I sell a 400w peak Surepower dc-dc that goes to 60-120vdc and puts out 13.5v and has switched and unswitched outputs and is completely sealed and isolated... for ~170 and can ship anywhere.... not just the USA.

Vicor are nice but not really finished. They work great when wired up correctly. The surepower dc-dc are plug and play.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like

Trav, can the sure power ones be setup to output 24V?
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter

Re: Cheap and reliable DC/DC high voltage isolated converter

No they cannot. 12 to 24v non isolated dc to dc's will work though... since you're already isolated.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piwhy View Post
    Hello,
    I've used for 4 months a chinese DC/DC converter (from Chennic.com) on my bike to convert the 105v to 12v and it suddently stopped to work for no reason. I've tried to contact "Sharon Chen" from Chennic as it was still under waranty but he never replied me...
    Good luck with that. I bought a charger from them (which turned out to be a Kelly charger with the Kelly logo literally cut out of the label) that was dead from day one. "Sharon" referred me to a tech who exchanged e-mails back and forth with me over a few weeks, first using photos, and finally a couple of videos where I walked through the whole procedure showing how I connected the charger and that it wasn't working. We got as far as the tech agreeing that it didn't work and then they stopped returning my emails.

Chennic may have some appealing prices, and the saying goes "you get what you pay for," but in my experience when you buy from Chennic you get much less than what you pay for. Their warranty isn't worth the pixels it was written with, and their customer service is just as bad, or at least was in my experience.

I picked up a used Vicor from frodus and it's been fantastic.
    Sensei - Electric Ninja 250

Post Thanks / Like
    fwiw, I'm gonna give this craptastic MEAN WELL SP-75-13.5 a go (with a small 12v pb batt). $35 shipped. 13.5V 5.6A 75.6W, 120 to 370 VDC in. Should be enough for the headlight and controller and etc.

edit, just realized this thread died in 2013