Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  9
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Indy eRoadRacing 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully it will come back stronger next year, with at least four US races and larger grids. Lightning, MotoCzysz, Mission, and Munch have all not running this year, either in favor of other series or at all.
    Last edited by protomech; 20 August 2013 at 0955.
    2006 Suzuki GS500, sold
    2012 Zero S ZF9
    http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay64 View Post
    Looks like this will probably be the last race of eRoadracing in the US. They are bailing on us for next year. Nice to know that we put in so much of our work and money into their series just to have them take the ball and leave. lmao
    Welcome to Australia - we wound up with one promotions group organising three low key races a year, virtually no media (apart from the awesome work that Andy does) and if we're lucky the flag marshals are watching us during their lunch break, as opposed to watching their sandwich. Personally I like the low-key way, as it costs a ****-ton of money to attend otherwise. Plus no major e-moto manufacturer has had any success in Australia. So we just have to build our own.

teddillard
    Sorry to hear this. I have one word. Club racing. Well, OK, clubracing? OK, I have two words.

...can't help but wonder what Brammo's thinking right now about their decision to put all their racing eggs in the TTXGP basket.
    Last edited by teddillard; 18 August 2013 at 0532.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter

Re: Indy eRoadRacing 2013

I think Brammo is still racing in other races alongside gas bikes in the AFM. Thats where I think it'll be... In normal series as a race within that series as electric only. Eroadracing/ttxgp/egrandprix doesn't have enough of a presence to handle worldwide racing yet... And may never.

So I think working with AFM/AMA/FIM will be where things start heading.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a big fan of FIM European Speedway dirt track racing, and, not long ago, I read about electric speedway racing under the FIM. Have to do a search to see if I can find something more.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see some on-board video of Eric Bostrom's 4.409 lap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I never got any post about this race over the weekend. I was just very busy and enjoying myself (great MotoGP race to watch) on top of the electric bikes.

Quick Notes from watching and talking to peeps over the weekend:
    -Each race Brammo is improving their bikes with more power. One bike (RR) did have more power, but less torque so different overall gearing. Some of the differences in time is actually due to rider feel and preferred setup. IE the rider will have a pretty big impact on these bikes lap times. They were definitely running new cells in the bikes from Farasis, but I think they perform about the same as the previous cells. They were fresh so that probably helps a lot. Interesting thing I observed
    -The TTX (Shelina's) is pretty modified to keep things cool. It has less peak power than the Zero's probably do, but with a liquid cooled motor it might actually have more continuous power available (this is a guess). This bike beat the Zero's on the straights, but Ted and Jay used their experience to pass her on the technical parts of the track. Oh shelina also ran with an old front RR fairing for the first time this weekend. She said it definitely helped in qualifying (only question I asked her). They kept it on for the race. She past Ted Rich right at the line cuz his bike was thermally limiting.
    -All of the Zeros now have a Sevcon Size 6 with air cooled heat sink and make about 70HP at the wheel as I was told. Each one has an open motor (case is machined), but they each have different ducting setups (or no ducting like Jay and Brandon (Elaine rode this one)). All of them, even Kenyon, hit thermal limits every lap, but mainly on the straights which limited power and speed. They all tried different gearing in the first practice (Zero only has four gearing options with the belt pulleys they provide) which explains the differences in top speeds. Even during the race Ted and Jay were running different (but close) ratios. It seems Kenyon's motor ducting or throttle control allowed him to run a cooler motor. That, his aero package, and his optimal gearing are what I think allowed him to run so much faster than the other Zeros (kind of a guess).
    -SPSU had a crash on the first lap of practice. It is undetermined if it was caused by rider unfamiliarity with the machine or ground clearance. Two different stories from various witnesses exist. This damaged the battery pack quite bad, killing a good amount of cells (physical damage; swelled, bent) which then lost voltage and forced the rider to pull off after a lap and a half. They are a fun group of guys who are ready to get back to the shop and build a better bike for next year. They had an old 250 chassis, new Curtis 1239 (liquid cooled), AC-20 and ~7kWh of RC lipo.

I learned quite a bit more, but I have to let the team's have their secrets cuz it is racing. Overall I love what I've seen and loving going to the track. I learned so much and have a ton of new ideas and plans. It was a great weekend. Thanks to everyone that took the time to chat with me and share stories/specs with me. Keep up the great work and hope to be competing with you next year!
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

9. Likes Harold in CR, Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    EVGator can provide more details, but it was definitely a ground clearance issue.

Supposedly Kenyon had an even larger front sprocket. He was running the 132 tooth rear sprocket, Jay stepped down to the 98 tooth rear sprocket.

Kenyon had a very pretty heatsink on his Size 6 controller (Ted was also using this heatsink .. Brandon's bike had no heatsink, Jay's bike had a 2013-esque heatsink), as well as a ~80 mm fan forcing air over the heatsink. He also had a duct forcing air through the motor.
    2006 Suzuki GS500, sold
    2012 Zero S ZF9
    http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    J_J_Indy_2013.jpg

Yeah, Kenyon and Ted had a 30T front pulley. That was definitely the gearing setup for Indy. I had decided to do a soft start to save my motor for the duration of the race and was planning on just drafting behind Kenyon and Ted. Unfortunately my start was waaaay too soft and I was dead last. I worked my way up to Shelina and then just backed off to let my motor cool back down and let her pull me along for a bit. But then I noticed that Kenyon and Ted had opened up quite a gap, so I worked my way past Shelina and pushed hard to chase them down and close the gap. Unfortunately that pretty much ruined the whole strategy of keeping the motor cool. I caught Ted and worked my way past him and tried to chase down Kenyon. Seemed like I closed in a little bit, but then we ran out of laps. It was a fun race though.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast