Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water cooling a 2013 Zero Motor

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin

Water cooling a 2013 Zero Motor

Hello,

I would like to convert from air cooling to water cooling a ZF-75-7 motor.

My first thought was just to push a smal copper pipe back and forward between the fins but maybe there is a better option.

what do you think is the best way to do it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The motor is well sealed. I would use some non-conducting oil/liquid and just flood the internals. Drill and tap a hole in the top of one side plate and the bottom of the other side plate (maybe also a drain plug for the lowest part of the motor). Viscous drag shouldn't increase too much on the rotor. The cooling capabilities should increase greatly. I am thinking about doing this with my 75-5 just to see how it works out. It doesn't need any more cooling at the power and ambient temps I'm running it at thou, maybe in the summer.

Liquid cooling the case would actually require more work IMHO and make the motor take up more space than it currently does. Keep me updated on this project. I need to find some way to log from my Sevcon to get a baseline of motor temp over a run.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow harlan On Twitter Add harlan on Facebook
    Visit harlan's Youtube Channel
    We tried cooling the motors with oil when we were prepping the bikes for pikes peak. Unfortunately they are not water tight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by harlan View Post
    We tried cooling the motors with oil when we were prepping the bikes for pikes peak. Unfortunately they are not water tight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Interesting, do you mind sharing where the motor was leaking from? The side plates, encoder compartment, or along the output shaft bearing.

Thanks
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the best way is to cut a corner on every other fin, alternating left/right, and then make the whole fin assembly watertight. Then put a pair of water inlet/outlets on each side for the motor.

Why do you need watercooling?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin
    I need water for increase continous power , peak power is ok , i'm a little short on continous rating , better cooling I think can be the right solution .... or maybe ask for a ZF 75-9 motor

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the continous rating for the 75-7?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin
    Don't know ... and for air cooled motor is very hard to tell because depends on air flow.

On Zero motor website there are some ranges and max speed (peak and continous) , from that data and form the battery capacity I think the continous power is somewhere around 15 kw

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/specs.php

we have a 10Kwh battery pack
    a sustained top speed of 129 km/h
    and a maximum range at 112 km/h of 98 km ( it means 52 minutes form full charge to empty and also mean an average power usage of 11,53 kw )

so the continous power is for sure above 11,53 kw because this is the power need ar 112 km/h and the bike can run at 129 km/h continous.

power need goes up a lot when you go faster , so running from 112 to 129 is a great increase in power request , in my experiece a 15 kw can be a realistic guess.

15 kw also match well with a "thumb rule" that the peak power is between 2 times or 3 times the continous , peak power is 40 kw so continous can be between 20 and 13,3

Post Thanks / Like
    If power is proportional to the cube of the speed ratio, we get:

11,5kW * (129/112)^3 = 17.5kW

If we calculate power at top speed we get:
    11,5kW * (153/112)^3 = 30kW
    Seems a bit low, but could be the truth if top speed is limited by RPM rather than air resistance.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you figure that viscous drag won't increase if you fill the motor with fluid?

I've hit thermal with my bike in stock trim on the street. But I ride my bike really hard. It could definitely use some additional cooling.

11. Likes gasfreeearth liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast