Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water cooling a 2013 Zero Motor

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin
    Quote Originally Posted by liveforphysics View Post
    In the hubmotor applications, the oil level gets filled to about 1-2" below the axle bearing. This eliminates the need for a special bearing seal (just RTV sealing the side plates). It works wonders, easily 2x continuous power in exchange for ~1-2amp higher no-load.
    I was thinking soe time ago to do the same to my E-max scooter ( http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/GREENC...-max-moped.jpg ) but later I thinked about the oil cooling only the lower part of the stator and not the top part so I didn't make any modification to my scooter , how effective is the cooling on the top part of the motor ? Did you tryed to put multiple temperature sensor inside the hubmotor.

Back to the Zero motor .. anyone have a picture of the inside of the motor just to see if the roto is smooth or not, smoother rotor will work better with oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rotor surface is smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    the surface is smooth, but the rotor has spokes from the shaft to the surface, so cavitation will be a big issue if you put too much oil in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    the surface is smooth, but the rotor has spokes from the shaft to the surface, so cavitation will be a big issue if you put too much oil in.

Has cavitation been demonstrated in such a setting and with oil ? at around which rpm ?
    that could be nasty.

compared with water though, i presume oil is less likely to produce cavitation ? due to higher boiling point ? or is it related to viscosity too ?
    i could google it you might say...
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123