Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  18
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to make a motor mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the 3 final pieces. If you look closely, you can see that where the bottom brace bolts to the main plate, it sticks out a little. This creates a little gap so the brace and the plate sandwich the lower engine mount.

(The brace gets painted all black - since it's under the motor, I didn't go through the effort of contrast cutting it.)

And finally assembled and mounted in the (previously rusty) frame:

- Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

2. Likes Skeezmour liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Following up on one of the things I said I'd explain later...

Because of the way the motor needed to be angled, the bolts could get in the way of the chain. I used low head cap screws and cut in countersinks so they sit flush. See what I mean in the pic below:

Getting the chain line right is made easier by the fact that you can move the sprocket back and forth on the shaft. However, I don't trust the set screws that are in most plain bore sprockets, even with thread lock. So, I use shaft collars on each side of the sprocket (with the shaft key sandwiched in between). I use single screw, aluminum ones like in the pic below. They take up room on the motor shaft, which means less side leeway for chain alignment - so if you go this route (and I high recommend you do), you need to design the mount so the sprocket lines up with the collars installed.

- Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    After I got all this done, someone asked if I was worried about getting my pants caught in the chain. Good point...back to the machine shop.

On my GSX-R, the original chain guard fits on the motor mount. On the KZ, no such luck, so I made my own. I decided to make a project out of it and put my Flux logo on it. (Flux motorcycles isn't really anything...yet...just a place holder in case I get something to take off some day.)

The chain guard was made from a solid block of aluminum (what they call "billet", which means it was machined from a single piece rather than cast). Here's the whole assembly:

- Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

5. Likes Skeezmour liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Noah,

I think this is such a great thread for el moto, and you've done a great job. Do you have any recommendations or vague guidelines for new folks as far as motor mount thickness and material goes?

I am assuming that a lot of people don't have solidworks, and obviously won't be running stress tests and other simulations.

7. Likes Skeezmour liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to do it!

I'd recommend 6061 aluminum alloy - strong and easy to machine. The last two mounts I made were milled down to 10mm thick, about 3/8". That seems like enough if there is bracing to prevent sideways bending. If you don't have as much sideways support, you could go up to 1/2" thick. Without stress tests it's better to error on the safe side...the weight penalty is very small.

If you're using steel, 1/4" should be fine.
    Last edited by podolefsky; 22 December 2013 at 1049.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

9. Likes Skeezmour liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345