Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Hey Everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Everyone

I'm up here in Northern Colorado, and I am just about as new as they come for e-vehicle conversions.

I have always wanted to build a electric motorcycle, or convert one. After looking for a few months I ended up choosing a 1st generation (1987-2007) Kawasaki KLR650. 3 weeks ago I found one on Craig's List that was missing a carburator, and battery for $100.

So my plan is to get a carb, and batt to get the bike running. Once it's up and running, then I am going to start saving, and planning for the conversion. I still have a LOT of RnD to do, but overall here are my goals:

60mi range
    70mph top speed
    ability to charge with solar/wind

I'm not sure if these goals are too lofty or not, but that's the plan. I'd also like to have an ac motor to hopefully use some forward momentum to gain a tiny bit of power generation. Also regenerative brakes for the same reason.

I'll be working on the bike now to prep it as much as I can with the gas engine, so when everything else is ready I can make the conversion. Things like converting all the lights to LED's. Possible suspension upgrades to handle more weight. Tires, chain, sprockets, etc.

Any thoughts, ideas, resources are always welcome.

Thanks,

-Cap

2. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    72 volt will get you close to 70mph - but for distance get the highest amp hour cells you can afford
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Capt. Red Beard,

A lot of guys are building dual sport ev bikes.

Tony
    Los Angeles

5. Likes Allen_okc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings from a fellow Coloradan! Those sound like good goals. Fitting 60mi worth of battery on a KLR650 might be tricky, but not impossible.

When you say charge from solar and wind, I assume you mean at home (not while you're riding). Just have to check.

You can do regen with a DC permanent magnet motor, like Motenergy ME1003. AC does it well, but they both work and DC PM is a lot cheaper. You just need the right controller.

Welcome aboard!
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

7. Likes Allen_okc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hooray for more Coloradans! Welcome to the club!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I've had three different KLR650s and they have been fun Colorado bikes.

For one dual sport conversion, feel free to take a look at mine for some ideas (link in my sig below). Fitting 72v of cells on a KLR will most likely require frame modification or panniers of cells on the rear.

Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Fitting 60mi worth of battery depends a lot on what kind of battery you use. The ones Robo uses (and me, and lots of other people) are on the large side for lithium. But there are a lot of good reasons to use them. There are other types that pack a lot more in a small space, but can be more complicated to assemble and maintain.

Sounds like all this is down the road for you. Battery technology is always trickling down - what is bleeding edge right now might be common place by the time you get to your build.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    Battery technology is always trickling down .
    Pun intended?