Power in Flux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt drive conversion with Zero parts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Belt drive conversion with Zero parts?

I just noticed that Zero is selling a "high speed" gearing option. $179 package includes front and rear pulleys plus the belt. 98/25, about 4:1 gearing. Would take some fabrication to make it work, but it's the only belt drive option I've seen that will get close to the ratios needed for electric. Harley sprockets and such top out around 70 tooth rear, 30 tooth front - way too low to work as a single reduction drive.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/...n8pn8atjbu43m7

I don't know what the belt type is - if anyone knows that would be great, since that's the one part most people would need to change.

Would be great if you could get the stock gearing (132/28, about 4.7:1), or a combination 132/25, about 5.3:1.

I'll probably stick with chain drive, but it's nice to have the belt option for a conversion.
    Last edited by podolefsky; 29 November 2013 at 2157.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Zero uses a Polychain GT Carbon belt, 8mm pitch. Only source I could find says 14mm wide, but Gates doesn't list that width. 12mm and 21mm are listed in their catalog.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    Looks like Zero uses a Polychain GT Carbon belt, 8mm pitch. Only source I could find says 14mm wide, but Gates doesn't list that width. 12mm and 21mm are listed in their catalog.
    you wouldn't use 8mm on your AC-20, right ?

I did use the Gates calculator and i would need at least 25mm...
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow GPZ500E On Twitter Add GPZ500E on Facebook
    Belt drive looks like a great alternative. I wonder whether Zero uses a roller type swingarm clearence guide as wear might be an issue otherwise.

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/high-...ail_belt-drive
    Last edited by GPZ500E; 30 November 2013 at 0118.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently bought a replacement belt for my 2012 Zero S. I was happy to find that the belt only cost $70 retail from my dealer and arrived in less than a week. I might add that I have 7500 miles on my bike and the original belt still looks like new. I have only had to adjust it once since I bought the bike and that was only by a very small amount. A friend of mine just replaced the belt on his BMW F800ST and the BMW belt set him back $400 plus hundreds in labor to install it.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Richard, do you happen to know the width of your belt? Or maybe there is a part number on it?
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    Richard, do you happen to know the width of your belt? Or maybe there is a part number on it?
    14mm. The belt is imprinted with the following: ZERO 30-03673 (followed by a stylized logo that looks like "Gates") USA 297A16
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah, not for the AC-20 (although I don't have an issue with 8mm as long as the width is sufficient).

I was thinking about it for the KZE, ME1003. Probably still go with chain on that though.

Mostly I just want the info out there for other folks.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Richard. Looks like a non-standard size. Bummer.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Status-free and luvin' it
    Post Thanks / Like
    Noah, (and anyone else interested in belt drive)

I'm using Gates PowerGrip GT2 hardware, 8mm pitch x 30mm Wide sprockets on the Black Widow trike (Check my build thread)

2-Stage reduction, 22T @ Motor-> 64T First Stage, 44T Second Stage Drive, 80T Rear Sprocket - 5.29:1 total reduction, close to Noah's desired 5.3:1

Gates also has Taper Lock bushings for mounting these pulleys onto literally ANY size shaft. The pulleys have larger tapered bores, the bushing has a matching outside taper and a split so when you tighten the set screws that secure the bushing into the pulley, the bushing also clamps down onto the full circumference of the shaft.

It could not be any easier! Easy Easy Easy!

The downside to this setup is the pulleys are all HEAVY SOLID chunks of steel and leave a lot to be desired aesthetically. I finally got sick of trying to find the right sizes and decipher the model numbers for all the parts marketed specifically for the motorcycle market, and never really knowing what you'd end up with - proprietary pitch? oddball width? That just doesnt work when you're "cobbling" together a setup from all different sources! I bit the bullet and just went with heavy industrial hardware. At least for now, it works as proof of concept and maybe down the road I can get the parts remanufactured in aluminum.

Speaking of sources, I ordered all the pulleys and taper lock bushings from ONE place, and they have the belts I will need too. Royal Supply in Ohio - they have a nice website, not sure if its cool to post the URL but they're easy enough to find online.
    Mike Pipes
    - Currently under analysis paralysis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast