Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1994 Yamaha fzr to EL Yami build

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    You can use it but you won't ever get to full throttle.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    0113042121.jpg

From the lot of bodywork I was gifted, the front fender and this r1 rearsection will work nicely The throttle I was told about ended up being a Magura 0-5k twist grip, also lucky enough to have given to me Got the lot of 16 7ah batteries too, only 1 of which was under 13v. The last week has been strange, I'm grateful for the parts though! Another question to the community though.

I plan on using 2/0 wire for my battery & motor wires, running a 72v system with a 300a peak in my me1003, is that too large of wire? Also, instead of buying the copper cable lugs at roughly $2 ea, can they be made from 3/8" copper pipe? or is that un-wise?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVDucs33 View Post
    I plan on using 2/0 wire for my battery & motor wires, running a 72v system with a 300a peak in my me1003, is that too large of wire? Also, instead of buying the copper cable lugs at roughly $2 ea, can they be made from 3/8" copper pipe? or is that un-wise?

Thanks!
    Making them out of copper tube is perfectly fine. That's actually how most of them are made in the industry. Just make sure you cover them well or they will corrode if you leave them as bare copper. You could try making them out of alum too.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the answer on that! I was going to ev drives to order my motor controller and noticed there are two of the alltrax 7245 models, a 7245 and a 7245P, whats the difference? the special is $400 on the regular one and the P is quite a bit more. The regular 7245 was what I was planning on getting. Eventually I will run li-pos, that shouldn't matter any should it?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVDucs33 View Post
    Thanks for the answer on that! I was going to ev drives to order my motor controller and noticed there are two of the alltrax 7245 models, a 7245 and a 7245P, whats the difference? the special is $400 on the regular one and the P is quite a bit more. The regular 7245 was what I was planning on getting. Eventually I will run li-pos, that shouldn't matter any should it?

Thanks!
    What Ted said on the "P" ^^^

On switching to lipo, as long as you are under the 90V max limit, the controller doesn't care what kind of cells you have.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not consider aluminum as a lug material crimped over copper cables. There is a real possibility of galvanic corrosion between copper and aluminum. That, and some aluminum alloys might be too brittle and crack depending on which you used.

But like N&V said, copper should work fine as long as they are protected.

Actually, I do use some aluminum spacers between my cable lugs and my 7245 controller and the spacers work well. But, my lugs and controller terminals are tinned and I also applied NoAlox between the aluminum spacers and those tinned surfaces...to prevent corrosion over time.
    Last edited by robo; 25 January 2014 at 1735. Reason: removed erroneous reference to Noah

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dillard View Post
    What am I missing? Are you referencing a post from this thread? I agree with what you're saying about aluminum, missing what Noah said about that, copper and protection. Protection's always a Good Thing, of course.
    Hey Ted. My brain fart. My reply was regarding Nuts & Volts reference to aluminum (not Noah...my bad).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12