Power in Flux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1994 Yamaha fzr to EL Yami build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

1994 Yamaha fzr to EL Yami build

Hello! 1028031858.jpg1209031819.jpg

A little history before this build. I have restored a few vintage bikes over the last 6 or so years, '68 Triumph 250, '75 Honda CB550 (rider), '71 Suzuki TS125 & '65 Harley/Aeramachhi Sprint 250 are my favorites. Started on my own machines that broke down, then got into working in a couple local shops for experience and pocket coin. I've been a big fan of Tesla Motors since around 2004, admired their way to take a "grammas scooters electric" mindset and flip it on its head and say that this is serious speed and performance. Little while later, Brammo, Zero, Mission, and more are making performance bikes. Hmmm I like that
    I always wanted to try an electric vehicle out, but there are next to none around my area. (Rochester NY has a Zero dealer now tho ) After a kind fellow showed me his Tesla Model S at this years seven springs PA mother earth news fair EV Auto show (no electric bikes there, want to take mine next year) I was hooked, I knew I had to build one, it was the only way for me.

So, here it is. This donor was sold/given to me by a friend that owed me a few bucks. Has 9,200 miles, runs good, drives, but... 3 years ago kissed a bulldozer full on and bent the rim, ripped tire open, destroyed plastics, bent the forks and triple clamps right to tire/radiator contact...ouch!! (guy lived, just doesn't want to ride anymore) The first pic kinda shows the bend, it was around 20 degrees on the fork tube from straight. The second picture is of the start of the teardown and the new front end pieces from ebay. This will be my first EV build, I have been lurking here for a few months, & reading other peoples work ( Noah's sweet gsxr & Lennon Rodgers ttxgp builds are favs). I have full access to Autocad & Inventor, tools, lifts, shop space and have a nack for finding deals. I will be asking a lot of questions on the Electrical/Programming side when that time comes. I'll be posting a list of parts I'm looking into and more pics as I go. This forum is great for all El Moto needs, Thanks for being here, I wouldn't be building without it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Sounds like you've got the background to do some great stuff - awesome choice to put that toward electric.

I live in Boulder, CO, but I work for a company in Buffalo. Travel there quite a bit, I like western NY. Great that there is a Zero dealer there now.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Noah! You have a real talent with these things! Your styling and quality are top grade. Wow, what a small world! I frequent the Buffalo area, who in Buffalo is your employer if you don't mind me asking? There are some nice riding roads around the WNY area, low traffic have you been into the southern tier? Ellicotville/ Olean areas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I appreciate the compliments. My first version was just so-so...I keep tweaking things, making lots of small improvements over time.

I haven't been out of Buffalo much, and I've only had my bike out there once. Part of a road trip. I didn't have a lot of time to explore, unfortunately. I don't know when I will again - it's a long drive from Boulder.

I work for a start up that's part of a larger company (that I don't want to name, sorry). We're doing battery-powered things (not motorcycles). I'd love to say more, but we're still in the development stages and want to keep things under wraps for now.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes, it like living in Siberia up here in WNY. Last night was 6 degrees, snowy and not too nice, yet I still wanted to do a little work on El Yami. The garage keeps the elements out, but not the creeping cold (no heat), so with fast work and good gloves I took the coil packs out, disconnected all engine wires/controls, radiator, hoses, cables, and removed the old wiring harness before fingers got numb...about 20 minutes, good run for 6 degrees. I'll be back into the shop tonight, removing headers and then I'm ready to break the ICE free from this bike

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my propane shop heater...

That reminds me - most lithium batteries shouldn't be charged below freezing (32F / 0C). They can usually be discharged at lower temps (down to -4F / -20C typically - you'll lose a lot of capacity when they're cold, but they'll work).

This is far off for you, just something to keep in mind. There are some cells that will charge below freezing, but only at low charge current. Just be sure to check the specs.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    I love my propane shop heater...

That reminds me - most lithium batteries shouldn't be charged below freezing (32F / 0C). They can usually be discharged at lower temps (down to -4F / -20C typically - you'll lose a lot of capacity when they're cold, but they'll work).
    I'm a little concerned about this. We get -6 / -7 here. I'm thinking of making a little thermal jacket for the pack.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a little ways a way, but a thing I didn't know, thanks for the tip!

With Christmas nearing, budget for the bike build has been redirected elsewhere temporarly, I still managed a few nice buys though. Got 4 carbon fiber led teardrop blinkers for $3 at a estate sale. They were the only motorcycle things in the whole garage, in a bucket with old rusty tools. Weird, but nonetheless I bought em. Went out to my car and tested them on my battery, bam all of them worked Got a new clear anl fuse holder and 300a fuse for 6 bucks too. Found some nice 1"x1"x.125" Aluminum Angle for smaller brackets, free from the neighbor

Hoping over the weekend I get rid of the ICE and start making my 12v wiring harness (ditching the bulky stock one).

Post Thanks / Like
    1221031556.jpg

Hope all had a nice holiday wknd/ week! During my time off I made progress. It got really warm this sunday (53F), so naturally the ICE melted out of my bike! I found a nice small 12v horn, a single bulb tail light housing (stock was 2 bulb) and other treats too. Removed useless tabs and passenger brackets, last ICE bits from the bike. It's now to the conversion stage

Post Thanks / Like
    My ICE sold this weekend, almost had to postpone the deal though! My trunk lid, for the first time in almost a year decided not to open up, it must have a taste for Yamaha! A bunch of parts, 2 gas tanks and the engine, stuck in the trunk! I have a little hole to the truck from the back seat, so I shoved the engine over, gas tank and got to the emergency latch with my snowbrush, success Motor has gone to a happy new home where it will be insterted into a WERA class roadracing fzr, sweet! The guy was real nice, knew his fzr's (racing them 6 years) and really interested in this electric version. He even brought me a set of race plactics (used but repairable) to try incorporating into my bike for weight & because my lowers are nasty. Huge weight savings and less open holes in the fairing then with stock. I'll put up pics later.

I have the dc to dc converter now, and all my 12v parts so tonight I start building that system.

I have a couple questions though.
    Would a 0-4k twist throttle work instead of a 0-5k ? I'm asking because a friend has one from an electric bicycle he may give me.
    I'll be using an alltrax 7245 controller.

Also, our IT guy is pretty cool and is going to give me some company time expired batteries from our server back ups packs (16 tomorrow). They still have a 13.2 thru 13.5v reading, just a 2 years old. They are 12v 7ah sla batteries. Would making a bank of 6 or 12 of them be ok to use as a test pack of my 72v system as I save and buy better batteries? Going off my calculations, I'd have 10.9 miles on a charge of 12 of them.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast