Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese electric motorcycles

Post Thanks / Like

Chinese electric motorcycles

Here is an article about ElectroForce Motors and their range of electric motorcycles. They look nice in the photos, prices are low - as is the performance. But they would make a nice in-city commuter and the potentially low prices would go a long way to getting people into the EV market. But being Chinese, no doubt distribution, sales, service and parts supply networks would likely be an issue.

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf...s-a-winner.htm
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Richard230,
    Thanks for posting the link. I'm actually one of the co-founders of ElectroForce Motors and I didn't know we had an article on motorbiker.org. Thanks.

We really appreciate your insight into issues that may arise. Just to jump back, we are based in Beijing due to it being one of the epicenters of electric vehicles, but our co-founders are from Canada (myself), Brazil and Brunei, so we're technically a Chinese company by address alone.
    With the other issues, we are currently working on developing a distributor and dealer network around the world to address sales, service and replacement parts. Our goal has always been to be able to bring EVs to the average consumer and we understand that working with good dealers and distributors worldwide is the only way make that goal a reality.

Thanks again for posting and we hope to get our EFM Tau and EFM Mu bikes over to your side of the world soon for you to check out in person.

3. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank Ted.

And since i've already "popped the cherry" on the first post, I guess I'll continue on the posting streak.

We're just finalizing the press release now, but we've just added another level to our model line up, the EFM Tau EX and EFM Mu EX. It fits in between our Base and + levels.
    It has the same performance as our EFM Tau Base and Mu Base (8kw rms) but goes up to a 21s, 70Ah (72v, 70Ah) pack for EXtended range.
    We'll be launching that in March 2014 and hopefully filtering it out to our distributors a short period after that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nate, what plans to you have for distribution in the US?

Post Thanks / Like
    We're in talks with a few different companies that would like to distribute for a few states only at this point. We are in the midst of getting DOT certification for our bikes; while overall straightforward, there may be hiccups along the way, so I wouldn't want to say for certain when we will pass.

Ideally, it would make more sense for 1 person/rep/company to manage the US. Pricing should be more consistent for consumers, getting replacement parts would likely be more streamlined, etc. But we haven't found the right "1" to grow with yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow! this is cool!

Great to see another alternative entering the Electric motorcycle market!

I have always wondered how cheap you can make Electric Motorcycles. A lot of places in the developing world have tons of motorcycles and people in these countries are not as "horse-power" hungry as the US. For example in El Salvador (my native country) tons of people travel on 125 cc motorcycles (a lot of them chinese), these don't go that fast and a lot of people don't travel 100km every day (its a small country after all).

I think the developing world might be an interesting EV market to exploit... 100km range and 85kph top speed are totally reasonable for tons of people oversees, the trick is to find the right price point. (many 125cc motorcycles sell for around $1500 new as a comparison point)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow you guys straight up stole the Honda CBR250 design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, straight up stole. Harsh but fair and accurate.

I'm quite familiar with the CBR250 design. This looks like the only changes to the plastic were to remove Honda's branding and minor adjustments for the bodywork to fit their bike.

I found a photo of the CBR250 that's close to the same camera angle, and the color shows the form better:

compare_2.jpgcompare_2.jpg

Striking resemblance, wouldn't you say? That goes way past a design "inspired" by another. If you sold that in the US market as-is, you should expect to hear from Honda's legal department.

Disclaimer: I work as a motorcycle designer and have worked for both Japanese and American OEM's. I don't know the CBR250 designer personally, but it does irk me when I see companies trying to profit off of someone else's hard work. I've been mostly lurking in this forum and hate for this to be my "intro", but I felt I had to speak up on this.

10. Likes ElMotoMike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a CBR250 with a new swingarm fitted so that the hub motor could be installed. My guess is they are hopefully just purchasing the rolling chassis from Honda.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    The frame, swingarm, etc all look different to me. You can get on ebay or alibaba, get CBR250 bodywork and stick it on your bike. As far as I know, you could get a whole CBR rolling chassis, build it electric and brand it your own. I wouldn't call that stealing necessarily. If their intellectual property claim is on the electric drivetrain, not the appearance per se, then that approach seems pretty legit.

I could buy a Lamborghini kit car, put an electric motor in it, call it the "e-Ablo" and sell it as my own.

I have an electric scooter branded "R Martin". X-treme sold a scooter that is nearly identical (might even be exactly identical), except for the nameplate. ZEV scooters takes the same chassis, puts a different motor and battery in it and brands it their own.

Just saying...
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast