Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese electric motorcycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Just because you can buy it on Ebay or Alibaba doesn't mean it's produced legally. Whether or not Honda takes the time and effort to go after them is the question. There is such a thing called a design patent. It can be difficult to go after Chinese companies infringing on IP, and many times it's not worth the effort when all they do is shut down the company, lie about destroying the molds, and start it back up under a new name.

You *could* do the electric Lambo, but Lamborghini has every right to go after you if you infringe on their design patent. You would be betting that your venture isn't worth their time to go after you. Ferrari has been known to go after replicas: http://articles.latimes.com/2000/nov/24/news/mn-56581

The design and form takes a lot of effort, time, and money to develop. There are a lot of production considerations that go into the design of an OE bike, and ironically the better you solve these challenges the less noticeable the solutions are. When companies take these designs without permission, they're benefiting from many man-months of development.

2. Likes drivin98 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    True - all I'm saying, and what Ted pointed out, is that we don't know. For all we know they're getting the body kits from Honda, maybe from the same factory (every 1/1000 goes to them, the rest go to Honda - it's not unheard of).

Anyway, just saying before you accuse people of stealing, it's worth asking and getting their side. The point of this forum is to be supportive unless people are clearly acting maliciously.

Stepping back and waiting for Nate to weigh in now (who is Canadian, so Chinese "in address only" as he said earlier).
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    According to his profile, he hasn't been logged on for 6 days. So I think he simply isn't aware of the recent development in the thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just sent an email directly to their company contact, letting them know we had some questions regarding similarity to the CBR. Hopefully someone there can clear thing up.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    My apologies on the delayed response to this thread. Here in China we’re smack in the middle of Chinese New Year, where the whole country takes a week or 2 off. Our office and factory staff has been celebrating with family and friends since the 27th. I’ve been “off the grid” for the last few days and haven’t received any updates regarding work until today.

To start things off, thanks for all the interest in EF Motors, good or bad, it allows us to get a better understanding of the consumers we hope to impact. It provides us with valuable information on how to make the EFM DELTA, Mu and Tau better products for the global marketplace. It also provides us the insight on what our potential customers deem important and allows us to adjust, improve or change accordingly to create a better electric motorcycle experience for everyone in the community.

To continue on with the thread, yes, the body panels are from a CBR125 available here in Asia. But the body panels are the only similarities it has with a CBR125 or CBR250. The frames were sourced for their appropriate dimensions that worked with our battery compartment, the swing arm was designed by us to work with our hub motors and the brakes, suspension, front wheel and tires are all off the shelf.

Our original goal and vision was to be able to create and manufacture a low-cost, sub $5000 USD electric motorcycle for the regular Joe, not for the enthusiast, or custom builder or converter. In order to meet that goal and vision, we had to think of the best way to achieve that from an engineering and business perspective. Our time and resources have been in the design and manufacturing methodology, electric power train, and safety and reliability; the aesthetics and aerodynamics were our last frontier to conquer after we knew it would be safe, fun to ride and well received by the market.

That being said, we never intended to infringe on Honda’s body style as a long-term business model, but we used readily available body parts in the current marketplace to get the first batch going and to test the market to see if the average Joe is ready for a low-cost, high-performance electric motorcycle.

We have also been working on new aerodynamics packages better suited to our EVs, in order to cover the battery compartments and offer lower drag to maximize range.

Again, we thank you for posting your thoughts, comments and ideas online or directly to us as they provide the necessary information for our start up to grow and create the best products we can for the motorcycling community’s enjoyment.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I failed to address previous issues.
    My email address is: Nathan@electroforcemotors.com

For emails that are sent to all our co-founders, please address them to contact@electroforcemotors.com

PS. Thanks Ted Dillard for the PMs, although I haven’t logged on to check them yet, I appreciate the heads up.
    Thanks podolefsky for emailing us and bringing the thread back to our attention so we could reply accordingly.

7. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ted. Happy Chinese New Year to you and the whole motorcycle community as well.

We try to keep the lines of communication open as wide as we can. To reach our goal of bringing evs to the masses require the input from the community and early adopters to better hone and improve any electric vehicle. I hope by mk2 or mk3 we can address 90 percent of the issues that users have/will have.

With this community's input it will help us make the delta, Mu and tau the best bang for the Buck.

9. Likes Richard230 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12