Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Batcycle Project

Post Thanks / Like

The Batcycle Project

Its been a while since i been here, but i have kept some what busy this winter - like shutting down my shop to find a better one...

which has slowed down the Steampunk Bike project, but has hasnt stopped it by no means. So to keep the builds going im starting the batcycle project.

So im hoping to have two rolling chassis to work on this spring...

with that said i have a Honda Hurricane 600cc that is to be the major suspension parts for the batcycle - it will look very fast so therefore should be as fast as i can afford to make it - 120 or 144 volt is the goal for this bike...

i would also love to go with a hub motor, but they are too expensive and wont have the top end speed im looking for...

so the dismantling of the Honda has started and i will be cutting the frame up to fit the Batcycle design - long and low...

*NOTE - i been riding my EV Chopper all winter this year except when roads are slippery - so far the only problem has been a power fluctuation when its below freezing, especially in the mornings - my on board battery box heater has helped, but even it has its limits when its 17 degrees outside... but i still ride
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like
    using a hacksaw and a forklift, removing the ICE from this honda was easy LOL...

Post Thanks / Like
    im still trying to figure out how to weld a round tube to a square tube and make it look clean and natural...

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks totally amazing. Glad to see you back and posting, Allen.

Not that I have anything to teach you on fabricating...but one way I've heard of to do square-to-round is to machine a piece that fits into each tube and weld it in. Take square stock, turn it on a lathe to fit the round tube at one end, with a nice transition in between.

Sorry about the cold! Hope you're not charging below freezing (generally bad for lithium batteries).
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Allen !
    you've been hibernating or what !

i'm just drooling looking at these pictures
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Ted has suggested, checkout welding tips and tricks on YouTube. I'm sure Rudy covers it.

I think a multi-pass would do it. Not a Corban Dallas Multi-pass btw.

That bike looks FN Awesome. Top stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You everyone - i cant sit still too long, i must keep building or i'll go crazy...

the headways im using sure put up with a lot of crap from me, but they just keep going - i still remember the thread where you made a comment Noah about charging them when its freezing, can be a very bad thing - and ive taken that advice to heart and allow the batteries to warm up before charging them. so far it hasnt hurt them at all, it may shorten the life, i dont know - but when its 40 degrees and warmer the bike runs strong and steady. with that said i must say, Thank You Noah...

Hugues, look who's talking - your bike is off the charts, i love it...

as far as the welding a square peg onto a round hole, the i have to agree, a flange will be necessary to give this project a factory clean look - i worried that if a flange will be strong enough - i have some square tubing, which is the other thought. and use round tubing for the cross members and structural support - last thing i need is for the frame to come unglued while riding at 70mph... scary.. love it...

one other update - i ordered a new 72V headway BMS from headway headquarters, should be here next week - i ordered it a month ago...

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    Excited to see what you do with it. My build is also based on a Hurricane, looks like exactly the same frame, but my styling is nowhere near as ambitious. I will be watching what you do!
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Well i think i kinda figured out a couple of concepts for modifying the Honda's frame to fit the longer and lower frame structure - the neck will be completely stripped of the square tubing and replaced with the round tubing then boxed in, im brain farting a 35 to 40 degree rake of the forks. which will make the bike harder to handle, but im working on a solution using stabilizers such as the drag bikes use...

The battery box is the next hurtle to conquer, since it will be convenient to make the frame fit the batteries, the battery box will be constructed with aluminum and lined with lexan sheets...

im really looking for a serious sci fi design that will have a atomic and functional look that is sleek...

What would Batman do

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, it took a little bit of thinking to come up with the softail frame design for the batcycle project, and still allow for a fit of all the components it will take to run this project - the fiberglass body will be as close to the original body design of the Batcycle as possible...

im not sure who really built this bike. but there only seems to be one photo of it with no acknowledgement who built this beautiful bike. but im carrying the concept into the EV World where it belongs - come on Really, Batman pumping gas, i dont think so...

11. Likes Hugues liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast