Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: American Motorcyclist letter of the month

Post Thanks / Like

American Motorcyclist letter of the month

I received the March issue of the AMA's American Motorcyclist magazine yesterday and they feature (on page 8) their "Letter of the Month". It was written by William Miller of Portland, Oregon, in response to a letter last month, written by John Van Stry, who complained that (as a taxpayer) he didn't want to subsidize, through tax credits, EV sales.

Mr. Miller points out in his letter to the AMA's members that the "government today heavily subsidizes milk, ethanol and oil, bread, hamburger, and on and on". What he didn't say is that EV subsidizes are only a very small fraction of a percentage of these other gifts by taxpayers - such as the latest "Farm Bill".

He then goes on to say: "As for the electric motorcycle, I am a potential customer because I cannot operate a clutch lever for very long any more. Blame that on 30 years of squeezing the clutch lever on an iron barrel Sportster". (My guess is that he probably has lost a good percentage of his hearing too.)

While the AMA doesn't do enough to promote quiet exhaust systems and helmet use in my opinion, I do give them credit for jumping on the electric motorcycle bandwagon whenever they can.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am beginning to think that there is some "class warfare" going on between some IC car owners regarding EV vehicle owners. My newspaper has a transportation letters column and today there were three letters complaining about electric car drivers being allowed to use the HOV lanes in the Bay Area (which are slowly being converted to single-driver toll "Lexus" lanes). The letter writers felt that single-occupant electric vehicles shouldn't be allowed in HOV lanes for free while they either have to pay, or have another person in their car. Two letters mentioned Leafs in particular as being the vehicles that are clogging the HOV lanes and slowing down their progress, while they rush to get to their important destination. Apparently there are just too many electric vehicles being bought and driven around here and some people just don't like it.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate when that happens - those dam EV'ers...
    The Greatest thing about a EV, is the Song of the Terrain...

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Athlon on Linkedin
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    I am beginning to think that there is some "class warfare" going on between some IC car owners regarding EV vehicle owners. My newspaper has a transportation letters column and today there were three letters complaining about electric car drivers being allowed to use the HOV lanes in the Bay Area (which are slowly being converted to single-driver toll "Lexus" lanes). The letter writers felt that single-occupant electric vehicles shouldn't be allowed in HOV lanes for free while they either have to pay, or have another person in their car. Two letters mentioned Leafs in particular as being the vehicles that are clogging the HOV lanes and slowing down their progress, while they rush to get to their important destination. Apparently there are just too many electric vehicles being bought and driven around here and some people just don't like it.
    this is a resoult of the mixing between two problem , congeston and pollution. EV can solve only the second , but if you have a lot of EV cars you still have a traffic jam every morning , so in my opinion in this case EV should't be allowed on HOV lanes becase these lanes are born more for solving congestion problems (and solving congestion also solve a big part of pollution problem even without EV).

EV todays are mature enough to be compared to other cars , special privileges like being allowed in HOV lanes was something right back in the '80 , when EV was lead acid powered , without heating , without air conditioning , todays you can stay in line with youl Leaf under the sun without any problem.

Todays cities not only need better cars (electric) but mostly they need LESS cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fewer cars in California? Oh, the horror!