Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Zero S with power tank

Post Thanks / Like

2014 Zero S with power tank

Since I have more money than talent, knowledge, or time, I just replaced my 2012 Zero S with a new 2014 14.2 kWh Zero S with the "power tank" option that installs an additional battery module (for a total of 5 packs) in place of the fabric stuff-bay on the standard models. The "power tank" is a dealer-installed option (for which I was charged an additional $220 in labor for its installation) and is a permanent addition, which is not removable, as suggested by a photo of the "tank" on the Zero website. Plus, it adds 45 pounds to the weight of the bike at a location where you would expect to have about 45 pounds of gas in an IC motorcycle. I sure hope I can get the additional range promised by Zero when installing the additional battery pack. I also really hope the Congress will extend the EV credit again for this tax year.

The 2014 Zero is a big improvement over my 2012 model where power, comfort and suspension are concerned. The forks are much larger and seem to function better, however the rear shock is about the same, so not much improvement there. The bike is larger and can now accommodate a passenger. It does not struggle when starting from a stop on a hill like my 2012 S did. Plus, the seat is a huge improvement in comfort, compared to the 2X4 that the 2012 bikes used for a seat. My dealer has been selling the 2014 models as fast as they can get them in, with the high-performance SR version being the current top seller. (You can tell the SR bikes by their red color.) However, I am happy with the performance of my over-weight standard version and just wanted the additional range. I am a very early adopter of the power tank option, having received the first one off the assembly line. (I am keeping my fingers crossed as I do not have a very good track record as an "early adopter".)

Attached are photos of my new bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

2. Likes Spoonman, Skeezmour, EVcycle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are photos of the wiring nest under the seat and directly behind the "power tank" feature.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

4. Likes Skeezmour liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really cool, what do you estimate will be your range?

Really cool cycle.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Richard,

I am intensely jealous. :-) Keep us posted on your real life range and energy use. You should enter Craig Vetter's fuel economy challenge, the next time he runs one in California.

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW. Nice!
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

8. Likes Skeezmour liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful ride Richard!! I'm glad you're enjoying it! I love them too!
    People I buy ebike parts from: Justin le http://www.ebikes.ca and Methods http://www.MethTek.com and Bigmoose http://www.mtg-technologies.com

This post and every post is in tribute to the free idea exchange. The free exchange of ideas accelerates all EV development.

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure. It is no longer fashionable to spit carcinogenic combustion by products in peoples faces as a part of achieving daily transportation needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I am a little disappointed with the range. I just traveled about 20 miles, half freeway and half surface streets. When I returned the display said I used 104 watt/hours per mile and had 57 miles of range left. The watt hours seems about right, but the estimated range ought to be better, I would think. Well, time will tell. I wonder if the BMS is recognizing the additional battery module?

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would of given them no choice in regards to charging you for fitting the extra batt. Fit it at no cost or no sale. I would of said to them that if you were their first that they should wear the cost and for them to think of it as promoting the option. If you get people interested in it then they would make more money in the long run.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EV_Scoot View Post
    Personally I would of given them no choice in regards to charging you for fitting the extra batt. Fit it at no cost or no sale. I would of said to them that if you were their first that they should wear the cost and for them to think of it as promoting the option. If you get people interested in it then they would make more money in the long run.

That would probably have worked later in the year after initial sales slow and the shop became familiar with the installation of the "power tank". But, since my bike was the first one that they installed, it likely took longer than it will after they do a few more. In the latest Rider magazine there was an article about the Zero 2014 line and it was mentioned that there would be an addition cost for the battery installation. Being an early adopter is always more expensive. That is certainly true when buying a new BMW motorcycle model, as an example.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, so basically you paid for their experiment and learning. Because it took hem longer they charged you more.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast