Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Speedometers!

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Joe on Linkedin

Speedometers!

I don't know anything about how speedometers work, do they work off the wheels or the motor? Do they take electricity? If so what, and how do I hook it up? Or do I need to completely replace the speedometer on a bike, if that's the case, what speedometers have you guys used?

Post Thanks / Like
    It totally depends. Most motorcycle speedometers work off the front wheel. There's either a mechanical cable that spins and makes the speedometer turn, or an electric signal is picked up from a magnet on the wheel. Same as a bicycle computer. That signal is sent up and the speedo calculates speed based on RPM of the front wheel.

The mechanical ones don't need electricity, except to power the backlight. Electronic ones do need power. You can just use the 12V from your DC/DC converter.

You could take motor RPM and use it to get speed, but I don't think that's very common.

Either way, you can usually use the original speedometer. Or get an aftermarket, which is what I did. Mostly because I didn't have any of the original gauges, but also because most of the original gauges wouldn't do anything, and I like my little digital one better. It's a Trailtech Vapor. It uses a magnet and sensor on the front wheel. I got the one with a bolt on temperature sensor and mounted it to my motor, so I have motor temp right up front.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Joe. We need more info! What kind of bike? What year?
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like
    The Cycle Analyst has a speedometer built-in plus of course all the other goodies one need to monitor consumption

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-part...ts/ca-dps.html
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I want an analogue speedo and rpm meter for my race bike. km/h on the outside, rpm on the inside. EV Fuel gauge on the side, a few LEDs for various warnings and that's it. Too many bells and whistles on bikes these days...

What a Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jonescg,

Try spedhut.com. They have aGPS speedo with a tach in a single pod. They can screen it with any art work you supply or you can play with their layout tools on their web site. I used a 4" speedo with a built in fuel gauge and a separate 2 5/8" tach. For a direct drive you might be able to make a custom gauge face to fit your needs. Of course if you ever changed ratios.....
    Last edited by ehills; 02 June 2014 at 0658.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you guys attach the magnet(s) to the wheel and place the sensor? Like on a regular (non-spoked) MC rim?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marcexec View Post
    How do you guys attach the magnet(s) to the wheel and place the sensor? Like on a regular (non-spoked) MC rim?
    On mine, the magnet comes embedded in the head of a bolt. The bolt goes through an exiting hole in the brake rotor. In the pic, it is just to the lower left of the brake caliper.

The sensor can get mounted to the fork or the brake caliper. I made a little bracket to hold mine to the fork. Just an aluminum strip with a couple bolts.

brake (Small).jpg
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    I hot.glued my magnet to the rings in the rotor right where it floats and then ziptied the reed sensor (pick up) to the fork. Pretty simple install and fairly robust

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, didn't think of the brake rotor, but hot glue near the brakes... That's Nuts!