Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mk. 4.5, the better E-Tard

Post Thanks / Like

Mk. 4.5, the better E-Tard

Heya all, After flogging the crap out of mk.4 for a season, the already three year old battery took a dump over the winter. I have some new cells, but they dont fit into Mk.4's skinny frame.

So, I am building a new frame and re-using the swingarm, forks, motor, wheels and concentric pivot system from mk.4.

It damn near made me cry cutting that frame up, but the next one will be so much better, its all worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the tentative design for 4.5, I havent done the simulation on the linkages yet, so they will probably end up a different shape, but this is the rough idea for now. Inside the square panels in the center of the frame there will be a CNC cut sheetmetal trellis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some shots of the real modeled linkages, and the CNC plasma cut center structure which I am now referring to as the cobweb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Woot! Shiny bits!

Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive fab skills to say the LEAST! Any videos of that bike on youboob? Love to see it in action.
    2003 Ninja 250EX, Agni #95R, 6:1 Gearing, 11 Leaf Modules.
    Alltrax SPM72400, 400 amp Controller, all LED lighting
    2014 CRF450X Supermoto
    http://www.evalbum.com/1955
    http://www.evalbum.com/3337

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DRZ400 View Post
    Impressive fab skills to say the LEAST! Any videos of that bike on youboob? Love to see it in action.
    Yeah, check out the blog: http://www.farfleracing.com/

Anywho, lots of progress made recently. Actually, the frame is almost done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Fabrication skills by the truckload there!

Nice work man

Post Thanks / Like
    I love how quick your turn around time is. It lets you quickly take your incremental upgrades and see how well they work.

Great stuff and thanks for keeping us updated.

I have a bit of an open ended question, what reasons made you decide to build your own frames and not use an existing frame? (was it cost, the design challenge, the packaging need, etc.) I've always wanted to do my own frame design and was curious what lead you to make your own.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    I love how quick your turn around time is. It lets you quickly take your incremental upgrades and see how well they work.

Great stuff and thanks for keeping us updated.

I have a bit of an open ended question, what reasons made you decide to build your own frames and not use an existing frame? (was it cost, the design challenge, the packaging need, etc.) I've always wanted to do my own frame design and was curious what lead you to make your own.
    Thanks, The reason I build my own frames is mainly a cost thing, but all of your reasons are valid. I have massive respect for the engineers of major bike manufacturers, but most the performance bikes I am looking at for potential candidates (Duke 690, RC390, KTM 450SMR, hehe, seem to all be KTM bikes lol) are all using the engine as a stressed member, and that is hard not to ruin when you gut them. plus, frames that have not previously spent time under a bus are expensive.

And this is a serious hurryup build due to needing a motorcycle for transport and having some new batteries that didn't fit. I was planning on making a new motor aswell, but just ended up leaving the space open for it and installing the old one. The new motor will be a 245 dia 100mm stator stack with a few less poles as opposed to the current 185x80mm stack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, always like to understand other enthusiasts build philosophies. But yea a KTM donor would be hard to come by and I can definitely see the inspiration in your builds from those bikes.

That new motor will be sweet. Leaving room for expandability/upgrades is bike in my book. I'll be following along closely
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast