Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Buell's Back?

Post Thanks / Like

Buell's Back?

I know a lot of you stateside are interested in the Buell brand and how it was shafted by Harley.
    Anyway, I just read an article in Oct Performance Bikes along the lines that part of Erik Buell's severance package was that he wasn't allowed to develop any road bikes for a period of time, and that that period is now over.
    So, he's developing a road version of the 185bhp V-twin 1190RR to get it homologated, and then go racing with it.

Nice one!

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I wish Erik all the luck in the world in rebuilding his company, but it's going to be a tough road ahead. It does look like he will be building some street 1190RR's to homologate them for AMA racing, but I would be very surprised if they cost any less than $40K. An affordable and competitive American superbike is just as far off as it ever was, and that is unfortunate.

Post Thanks / Like
    He has a good product, but getting financing to build and market it in production numbers is not going to be easy. Plus, there is the matter of establishing a dealer network. You can bet that Harley dealers won't give Buell the time of day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been thinking it would be nice to see him work with Victory. The dealer network would be there.