Likes Likes:  2

Thread: ZZR600 Project

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit Muzzy's Youtube Channel

ZZR600 Project

chassis.jpg
    Greetings all.
    I have been lurking through the forum, and other website for the last 3 years. Checking progress and progress of available tech' for EV motorbikes.

I have been looking for a project for my old trusty ZZR 600 D Kawasaki for sometime, but a simple engine rebuild or trackbike project just wasnt hitting any inspiration of anything new in this 21st century.

I am going to be converting my motorcycle to electric.

These are my requirements.

Speed upto 70 mph (to overtake)
    Cruise 50-60 mph (commuting)
    Distance 15 miles to destination, and 15 back. 30 miles round trip work commute

I was thinking of this setup http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/96v-brushless-kit.html

And using 30 x 60 AH Calb http://www.manzanitamicro.com/produc...id=30&vmcchk=1

I'd be interested to know your thoughts and suggestions/alternatives.

The bike will have a standard frame forks swingarm and wheels, but the subframe will be either CF or fibre glass custom mono unit, with custom made front fairing (lightweight)

Thanks
    Last edited by Muzzy; 02 March 2016 at 0550.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good sensible spec for the performance and range you're looking for, can't fault it.

Don't forget to include a charger in your budget; and you'll either need a BMS or to be prepared to BE the BMS where pack management is concerned.
    You might also inquire about the Domino throttle rather than the Magura, the former has largely replaced the latter on account of being a better built unit.

ZZR is nice chassis for the conversion in my opinion, streamlined, comfortable, and big enough for this project, although if you want to expand your range in the future you'll likely need to switch to a better battery chemistry.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

3. Likes Muzzy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Hi Spoonman, and thanks for the reply. I was looking at Nissan Leaf as an alternative also, but here in the UK i dont think they are as readily available as the UK to consumers (yet). What other alternatives are there to date? i spotted A123 puches, and the like, but they seem to be for the higher sporty demands of projects.
    Last edited by Muzzy; 29 February 2016 at 0601.

Post Thanks / Like
    Leaf modules are the first port of call if you can get 'em - definitely the best modules, and the best value, that you'll get anywhere in the market at present. They're over-engineering like you wouldn't believe!

After that I'd be looking towards either NCA or NMC in 18650 cells (Tesla setup) - they're a lot of work to put together but they're serious performers; if you're going for them then try buy them with tabs as that spares you the need to build/acquire a tab welder.

Wouldn't worry too much about all that for now though - get your 'gen1' done with LiFe and use that to get your head around the more ...'particular' nuances of EV-bike design.
    Ride it, learn from it, and then spend the big money on your 'gen2' with the all-singing battery pack, bigger motor and controller, full BMS, better charge options,... the list goes on (and boy oh boy does it go on... :P)

That approach also has the benefit of giving the battery market another year or two to mature (although in my experience, much like the PC world, that doesn't reflect any change in your spend, just in what you get for it)

You won't go wrong with your proposed setup for the performance you want in your first gen bike, and it won't cost you the earth, so unless you can get Leaf modules, I'd say carry on with that.
    My first bike was two brushed-DC forktruck motors and a kWh of Lipo, and it's still good for 70MPH and about 12km - my 'gen2' is on hold pending the building of a house and all that follows
    but I've been having great craic refitting a VX-1 with Leaf modules of late so I'm still finding ways to fund the addiction.

Enjoy and keep us posted.

oh - and I'm in Ireland, so if you do happen upon a 'local' stash of Leaf modules keep me in mind. Shall do likewise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Add enerdels to that list of great cells that you can source for a good price.
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Thanks Tango (Been following your blog, great info)

Ok, i'll be sticking with the CALB batteries for now, (although the newer CALB 72Ah CAM72 look interesting too).

I have seen this kit http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/budg...v-brushed.html also, I have seen a couple of vlog's of bike built with this, its a cheaper setup, the lower Volts and a brushed motor being the only difference. My question is whether my original setup would be significantly better, or not

My main concern would be keeping up with 60 mph on slight undulating elevations to work (I live in Scotland). Anyone with experience of a 72V brushed motor setup would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Muzzy; 01 March 2016 at 0612.

Post Thanks / Like
    My forktruck motors are brushed - they'll handle bumps no problem so don't worry about that.

I'd invest in BLDC or PMAC though as there's no real tuning options to the Brushed units beyond setting the advance on the brushes.
    The other technologies give you far more options, and are far more relevent, not to mention being that bit less maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Those are some great responses, thank you for your time its been a great help

Ok, so i'm pretty much set with

Motenergy ME1302 Water-Cooled Brushless
    Sevcon Gen4 G9930 96-120V (nominal) 350Amp
    http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/96v-brushless-kit.html
    30 x 60 AH Calb http://www.manzanitamicro.com/produc...id=30&vmcchk=1

I have some depron foam I will shape up to mockup fitting the parts to this frame.
    chassis.jpg

Going to see if I can get some strip down work of the ICE this weekend, and hopefully take some photo's

10. Likes Spoonman liked this post