Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Another electro-newb

Post Thanks / Like

Another electro-newb

Stuart here from Albuquerque, NM. 20+ years riding, 30+ years of being a major petrol head. I used to run a Ducati customizing business in SoCal: FlightCycles. Got a bit of news & attention. I just wasn't "Harley-enough" to make the $ needed to survive so I had to fold up shop. Been back in NM now for 6 years and currently do Ducati service in Albuquerque as 1/2 of Desert Desmo.

No definitive electro-motive plans yet but I'm tired of pistons. They kinda suck.

I'd like to get some books and spend the summer reading up on how to do a proper build. Suggestions are very welcome. This will likely be a full-custom chassis although I see the attraction to doing an ICE conversion.

Looking very-much forward to learning more about this and eventually riding some great NM roads quietly. (mostly b/c I'm going deaf!)

2. Likes Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, custom Ducatis sounds great. Too bad you couldn't continue sounds like a dream job. I read "from fossils to flux" Ted Dillard, very good easy read. I was recommended to read "Build Your Own Electric Vehicle by Bob Brant" but I haven't yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome dude! Can't wait to see what you're going to do. BTW, ask lots of questions. This is a great group to learn from (and teach for that matter).
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Custom Ducati's was cool for a while... Just ran out of customers. :-/. I'm happy to be here. Thanks for the book tips! I'll check those out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck-Stew View Post
    30+ years of being a major petrol head...but I'm tired of pistons. They kinda suck.
    That gave me a good laugh! You found the right forum. I also liked Ted's book. Check out EVAlbum, searching Motorcycles. Read about all the ones you like and follow the links to the blogs and threads that describe the builds. You'll avoid most mistakes by reading what others have done. Sounds like you've got the skills to do a nice-looking build. Can't wait to see the result!

Post Thanks / Like
    Budget?

and welcome aboard! , you're far from the first of us to have "seen the light". I've still a TL1000S and a VFR'24 sitting in the workshop with enough spares to build another of each, and I've no more interest in ICE anymore. I'll keep 'em as museum pieces for my grandkids to experience in 30-40 years! :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Budget?

and welcome aboard! , you're far from the first of us to have "seen the light". I've still a TL1000S and a VFR'24 sitting in the workshop with enough spares to build another of each, and I've no more interest in ICE anymore. I'll keep 'em as museum pieces for my grandkids to experience in 30-40 years! :P
    I've still got to figure the whole thing out prior to defining a project bike and then a budget...

Museum pieces? Now that's a cool thought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nando View Post
    Wow, custom Ducatis sounds great. Too bad you couldn't continue sounds like a dream job. I read "from fossils to flux" Ted Dillard, very good easy read. I was recommended to read "Build Your Own Electric Vehicle by Bob Brant" but I haven't yet.
    Read "From Fossils to Flux" and it pointed me in a lot of right directions. I'll pick up the Bob Brant book and check that out too...

Thanks!

10. Likes Nando liked this post