Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Please help!!! AC-23 European EMC Test

Post Thanks / Like

Please help!!! AC-23 European EMC Test

Hello all,

Well, things look like they're getting out of hand money wise here in Switzerland.
    In my quest to electrify a Hayabusa, I'm running in to quite a bit of "Red Tape" costs:

As I'm radically changing the bike, it will have to be tested mechanically and have a new type number, around $3000.
    Have to be checked out that its electrical construction is conform, another $1500.
    Now I've just found out that because HPEVS have no certification for their motors and it would have to undergo an “Electromagnetic Compatibility” (EMC) test, which would be another $3000!!

This is fast becoming too expensive to carry on with!!

So my plead is: Has anyone or does someone know somebody who has had a EMC carried out in Europe, on the AC-23 and has a standard number, most probably an ISO number.

A big thanks in advance if someone does.

Regards
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    In Sweden all tests are only like 500 Euros and no EMC test is needed..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny J View Post
    In Sweden all tests are only like 500 Euros and no EMC test is needed..

Sounds interesting, can I take the whole bike there and get it tested, which would then be valid in Europe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure you can't just have a "engine swap" entered in the books? http://www.elektro-auto-umbau.de/ has some rudimentary info on (I know, Germany, not Switzerland).
    Maybe the "over the border" option could be way shorter? Good luck anyway!
    My Suzuki RF400 build over at ES: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...p?f=12&t=35865
    (Enertrac MHM602, Kelly KHB14301, 6kWh AESC modules (Renault, Nissan))
    Based in Dublin, Ireland

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marcexec View Post
    Sure you can't just have a "engine swap" entered in the books? http://www.elektro-auto-umbau.de/ has some rudimentary info on (I know, Germany, not Switzerland).
    Maybe the "over the border" option could be way shorter? Good luck anyway!
    Thanks for that an interesting read.

That's just the problem here, Switzerland is stricter than in Germany. I contacted my county test centre, and for the price of CHF150 I just received a nice detailed letter informing me of what's involved. Part of the info states that this is a significant change to the construction to the bike, and is then classed as a new vehicle type registered under my name, no longer a Suzuki. Even if parts have TÜV/ABE certification, it's not guaranteed that Switzerland will allow it, for the pleasure of checking costs another CHF75.
    Last edited by Ian; 24 September 2017 at 1340.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you checked the rules for importing modified vehicles? Sucks but might be cheaper and simpler in the end going the roundabout way. Ireland for example has no MOT/Tüv for motorbikes, so I'll go to an approved Suzuki dealer to document the engine swap in a week or two, send off the form and it's all good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Sounds interesting, can I take the whole bike there and get it tested, which would then be valid in Europe?
    I'm not sure how this works, but the vehicle needs to be registered in Sweden and have a Swedish number plate before you start the conversion process..
    There are also special regulations that you need to follow when planning the conversion, electric safety rules etc..
    Here is a link to those regulations, only in Swedish unfortunately.. http://sfro.com/images/stories/dok/e...-1_0_final.pdf
    Last edited by Johnny J; 25 September 2017 at 0831.