Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aprilia RS125 2-STROKE conversion

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with greg on this. I don't see any way to handle that sort of unsprung mass in a sports chassis.
    I could be convinced of a cruiser alright, but even the biggest sports or tourer chassis would have difficulty absorbing any impulse coming from that lump without getting upset to some degree.
    It's not a question of spring or damping rates - it's a question of there simply not being a great enough difference between the masses of the two bodies.

2. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Instead of you riding the bike, the bike will be riding you

I'm not in disagreement...that's why I didn't go with a hub motor
    Last edited by Stevo; 09 July 2020 at 0859.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

4. Likes Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about hub motors for scooters and low speed commuters. As modern scooters ( with swingarm mounted motors) have shown the ultra low speeds and conservative cornering mandated by the smaller wheels , mean the large unsprung weight is not so much of a problem.
    Just fixing the damping on a bike that carries real speed will not overcome the unsprung weight problem and the large rear weight. It goes to the whole physics of the vehicle. I am not saying it can't be done, but it would require an innovative approach to the whole chassis to make it handle well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow - I see that there have been a lot of replies on this thread since I last looked. I do apologize but, in my defense I have been busy with the conversion. The 14kW QS hub-mounted motor mated to the APT96600 controller combination is proving to be quite successful. Bike is smooth, responsive and, although I have not fine tuned the controller for maximum performance (yet), the combination is working brilliantly together. Wish I knew how to post a picture on this site. I am no expert biker but the bike feels planted. Very little upsets it. The battery is 45kg up front and, with the charger, DC to DC converter and BMS also all up front the balance is actually close to 50/50. Go figure...

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    50/50 balance is fantastic.
    Have you ridden over bumpy, bad pavements? That would be a true test to see how it responds
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually I have been riding a (previously before conversion) Derbi 75cc two stroke frame conversion to electric motorcycle for 8 plus years. It is fitted with a QS 8kW (nominal) and 16kW (maximum) hub-mounted motor weighing in at 25kg total mass. It has a 36kg battery pack up front, same on-board charger as the Aprilia and also good balance which is why I had the experience to go for a similar, but larger, setup. It has given me flawless service for many years and I have been on rough terrain, bumpy roads, rain and never have I felt that the rear wheel was not anything but planted. Sure, the rear shock absorber has a harder time of things but I can't feel the difference. I would seriously recommend QS Motors to anybody - their products are high quality, rugged and reliable. I had previously used an enertrac MHM motor and it continuously overheated - the motor cutting out at anything more than 5kW. An 80km ride necessitated 5 stops (cut-outs) and long waits for the motor to cool - really impractical and inconvenient. With QS hub-mounted Motors that is a thing of the past.

9. Likes tylerwatts liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12