Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  14
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 1979 XS750 electric conversion

Post Thanks / Like
    Very small update:
    I have purchased some SPIM08HP lithium ion cells to make a battery pack for testing and debugging.
    These cells are very small capacity, (8AH) but they are rated for 200A discharge continuous, 400A peak for 30 seconds.
    The entire 26S pack made with these cells should only last me about 5 miles, but will take up only 25% of the volume of the other pack, and weigh much less.
    This should let me get going easier, and have some options when it comes to diagnosing issues.

I will upload some pictures when I get the pack put together.

In other news, my long-term plan is to replace the leaf cells with LG 60AH cells. They are considerably more energy-dense.
    My nissan leaf pack is going to be about 4KWH.
    LG cells, while much more expensive, would get me about 11.5KWH with a 26S2P configuration, and be close to the same weight/volume. Perhaps a little more.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Tell me more about the small pack (weight size price source )...I'm probably going to build an electric mountain bike this summer and want to build a small 36 to 48 volt pack. Those might be perfect for this build.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Stevo.
    I can't comment on weight yet, other than that the listing claims they weigh "around 300g", but I'll post when I can weigh them.
    Should be arriving tonight so if I have time I will weigh them when I get home.

As for the cells size, with the cell holder on them, they are 6 & 5/8th x 5 & 5/8th by 3/8th inches each cell.
    I bought them here:
    https://batteryhookup.com/products/s...33526051143812

The cell tabs are too thick to spot weld efficiently, and one is nickel plated copper while the other is aluminum, so you cannot solder to the aluminum tabs.

I plan to make some custom bus-bars out of aluminum like this guy:
    https://youtu.be/n-MfA9tIX5s

You can get a good feeling for the size and scale of the cells from the video.

4. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The listing I linked is out of stock now, but there are several other listings for them pre-assembled into various configurations on the site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright, so my resulting weight for 26 cells with the plastic holders is 21lbs.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    The watt hour per kilogram is terrible on these cells. (SPIM08HP)
    With holders, they are effectively 80 wh/kg.
    For reference, lead acid is around 40wh/kg, the 60AH LG pouch cells are 245wh/kg, and the cells used in the Tesla model 3 are 247wh/kg.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    The ad says they were used in very cold environment for emergency back up. They may have not been properly maintained if they were in a very remote area with poor monitoring. That's unfortunate.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456