Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  94
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Kawasaki zxr-E

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Good news.
    I'm taking EV Ed's advice and going to play with some new gear ratios
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like

SEVCON size4 ???

Hi all,
    contemplating a controller swap.
    Been looking for a size 6 including programing which proves to be difficult as well as quite expensive.

By coincidence i stumbled on an offer for a Gen4 SIZE4 including programing for my me115- reasonably priced.

So question is would you go for it if it was your bike?- or would you still go for a size 6?

To clarify:
    Atm the kelly (which is overrated anyway) never showed more than 350 amps on the sachs and rarely more than 320A on the zxr-e - battery side.
    It really makes the bike go smooth but but lacks initial accelleration from standstill.
    In theory both match the me115 quite perfectly with each around 150 amps cont. and 350 peak as well as 420A boost.
    So swapping for the sevcon would give me mostly more from the `"get go" which is what i am after. I do not plan to change for an me1507 or ac20..23 .. QS motor (which is what most conversions use with the sice 6). Overall power is quite enough for what it is intended. And i want to keep it air cooed- so nice not to have fluids on board . I am mostly looking for more fun from low speed.
    On top i believe the sevcon will up the power somewhat anyway actually going for 420 amps opposed to the Kelly.

Would a size 6 be of any advantage? (the me115 can only take 420A anyway) Apart from running cooler?
    Having, for example, 550A battery side on hand makes sense if motorside only being able to take 420A? Even with pwm considered?

Anyone?

greets Flo
    Last edited by flo; 01 August 2021 at 1136.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Sounds like the cheapest upgrade.
    Do you think you'll ever change the motor, or would that be a whole new project bike?
    It would be an interesting learning experience.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Stevo,
    well there are a few aspects to it
    First off riding electric, for me is about simplicity. Just ride. Easy tech...

second for registration: as long i would stay below 65hp it would be possible quite free of any hazzle. The zxr could take it in general.
    But would it make sense? crazy accelleration to say 130kph? A speed demon is still about two battery generations away, just eats up to much energy- range impaired.
    would it be worth the money? From the fun aspect - surely. but here comes

third:
    Not only being over 50 now, but also having barely survived a horror crash that cost me 2 years of my life i realised the truth in the saying:"There are fast bikers and old bikers. Fast and old bikers being rare". I am still not free of pain after 22 years and will never again be so. In short i had my share of 100+hp bikes - sold them all off. Nowadays i enjoy riding light bikes (say equivalent to 300/500cc in old currency) just as much.
    Nowadays i would take a superbike only to the track - and i am not good enough a rider for such an expensive parttime.

So i guess - maybe... some day

flo

5. Likes Stevo, tylerwatts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey flo,

Hope you're still enjoying your conversion your thread is one of a few I have been using as a reference to determine my parts list etc. It is really great how detailed you made it.

I plan on using 6 or 7 gen 4 leaf batteries like your build. Whenever I try looking up info I can only find it for gen 1 packs. I was going through your pictures and came up with a few questions. What BMS did you use? Could you provide a diagram of how the BMS is wired to the battery? What charger are you using for the battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seven modules from a low mileage, wrecked 2015 Leaf in my electric assist cargo bike. When I started, in 2016, they were already degraded. I could pull out 55 Ah from 4.2 v/per cell to 3.2 V/cell, from my pack. Today, after 30,492 miles, I can only get 39 Ah out of it. I rarely charge to 100%, 58.8 volts. Typically, I charge to 57.7 volts to reduce degradation. Leaf cells are notorious for degradation.

Oh! Those Bolt cells. We have had our Bolt for over four years. No fire yet. The torn anode tab, and folded separator is apparently a problem that has been happening sporadically with the assembly of LG bi-cell pouch cells for years, across many lines, in many countries. The newer, higher energy density chemistries apparently make the dendrite/short problem even worse in these defective cells.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi RoninKW

here you go:
    https://www.secondlife-evbatteries.c...n-leaf-modules

No bms, so far i ballance using a calibrated charger for the 3 sub pacs. (plugs underneath the fuel cap), so far i checked 3 times and ballanced only once after 1500km.
    If you only charge and discharge within the flat part of the curve these stay well ballanced. aprox 3,4 to 4,05 volts.
    On board charger TLC-1800 set to 97,2 Volt

Warren:
    first off the newer cells apparently have gotten better. But 30 tmiles and 80% without cell heating/cooling ain`t bad.

Get BMW or Tesla cells then, but they will degrade as well without thermal management.

greets

flo
    Last edited by flo; 24 August 2021 at 1008.

Post Thanks / Like

10. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what the YouTube clip says, but I get the picture and it doesn't look good.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Warren, but that fire was not caused by the bats, actually they survived unscalted.
    Something else smouldered as the mother got her kid into the baby seat. She realised the smoke and got her kid out, only after that the car caught fire. Verified by VW and Firedep. by now, cause of fire still under investigation.
    Not every burning ev has a traction battery defect! Thats just headlines.
    The burning smart last month got on fire cause the mercedes (fuel) caught fire and ignited the smart next to it. Headlines of course read: electric smart car buning...
    greets
    flo
    Last edited by flo; 25 August 2021 at 0918.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast