Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Motor location question

Post Thanks / Like

Motor location question

We normally see a motor mounted low in the transmission area since I will be using a jackshaft on my project the thought occurs " IF LI-ION batteries weigh more per square inch of space used (or relatively close ) should I be stuck on the normal motor location? this application is on a dirt bike where the alternate position would be in the area where the airbox would be on an ICE engine behind the rear shock just below the seat. Thoughts anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice idea, Sounds good but how you will transfer the power from the motor? the chain will needed to be covered, ICE motorcycle have lots of high wight, only the gas tank full is about 20kg+

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to use a belt from the motor to jackshaft but no room for the width, fabricating a cover would be the same as a low mount motor but slightly longer. I had also thought about mounting it to the swingarm but afraid of the added mass and its effect on handling. Since this is used poking around the farm with the occasional trail ride it may be reconsidered... it completely eliminates the need for a jackshaft.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking about motor location for a while.
    I really don't like hub motors because they put all the weight out ate the end of the swingarm and decrease the unsprung mass to sprung mass ratio. But mounting the engine at the swingarm could be a good compromise ( al la Vogue ER10). The mass has way less effect on the suspension and you can use a belt drive that the tension will be uneffected by the suspension arc. That would allow a static tension roller for the belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to check out the ER10 as I hadn't seen it before, yes that is the general location I was referring to, thinking that the closer to pivot point the fewer negative impacts on suspension geometry and ride quality.