Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1979 Kawasaki Z650 Conversion

Post Thanks / Like

1979 Kawasaki Z650 Conversion

Hello! I'm new to EV conversions, and am by no means a bike mechanic, but I've wrenched on a few classic cars and have experience building battery packs for a solar system. I've wanted to make an electric motorcycle conversion, and a project 1979 Kawasaki Z650 found its way into my possession and so here I am.

The bike is heavy, according to what I could find, the rolling frame is ~300lbs. With the weight of the batteries + motor + other components it'll come out to about 550lbs, and as a 6'3 guy it'll be carrying another 220lbs. With this sort of weight, I was hoping you folks could help me sort out what sort of battery capacity/motor combination might work best for my wants.

I'm hoping to reach at least 60 mph (95km) and with a range of 60+ miles. After doing research without fully understanding all the systems at play, I settled on a custom 72v, 200ah battery bank with 200a continuous draw, and a goldenmotor's HPM-10KW 72v motor.

Please let me know if I'm even close with my plan, or if there's a better way of going about it. I really appreciate the help!

P.S. Here's the bike as it stands now:
    PXL_20210711_003933547.jpgPXL_20210711_003941567.jpg

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    The chassis without all of the ICE components will be much less than 300 lbs. I think your finished ev project will be closer to 400 lbs when done.
    What batteries were you thinking of using?
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on using lifepo4 batteries. I've currently got my eye on these batteries but am still deciding on cell form-factor.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Not sure where you are located, but if your in USA you might want to find a reliable seller here.
    Look at some of these deals: https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/garage-sale-items-ev/
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2