Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ural sidecar conversion (thinking about it)

Post Thanks / Like

Ural sidecar conversion (thinking about it)

Hey everyone

New to the forum.

In addition to some fine two-wheeled motorcycles I've owned, ridden, and enjoyed, I also have two Ural sidecar rigs. The older one is a 2007 Tourist, with frankly, enough engine challenges that I'm getting sorely tempted to convert it.

So... starting to think about a conversion of this lovable tub.

Kicking around some ideas at this point.

I've seen a few sidecar conversions (for instance, there's a Dnepr sidehack on evalbum: http://www.evalbum.com/3944). And Ural themselves deubuted an electric a few years back (prototype) using a Zero motor and battery pack (https://www.imz-ural.com/electric)

So this would hardly be the first. But I believe I still want to give it a go.

--

So, some basic design ideas that I'm toying with, and would appreciate advice on.

1) Hub motor or DC (or PMAC) motor. Hub motor would be relatively simple. Avoids having to deal with the driveshaft. DC motor is simpler. PMAC motors offer more power.
    Not looking for insane power or top speed (it's a Ural!) but would need more torque than an average conversion. Also, I'd like to work towards pretty significant range if I could.

2) Where to put the batteries? It seems like I'll have a lot of room between where the ICE engine is today, and also the possibility of putting them either on or under the floor of the sidecar.
    Also seems to mean either I don't need the most energy-dense batteries available, or could really add to the range.

3) I'm not a machinist, have never welded. Mechanical aspects are not going to be my strong suit on this potential build. Advice? Do I find a friendly machine shop? Is it easier than I think?

4) Those drum brakes... may have to convert to modern Ural wheels with disc brakes, but then there goes the budget.

Thoughts? Reactions? Advice?

Thanks in advance.
    (and if this belongs in a different forum section, please let me know).
    Last edited by UralRider87; 1 Week Ago at 1831.
    Ural Rider, thinking about my first conversion

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah,

Just ran across this over at DIY.

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/threa...3/#post-863369

Someone converted a Dnepr (same as a Ural) first with an ME-1003 direct-connected to the driveshaft. Was having trouble, then he switched to an AC-30.

As someone over there said, "Yes this is a common problem with this set-up. Not enough gear reduction and no way to increase it. The motor turns too slow, draws too much current and overheats."

This would seem to argue for a hub motor. Enertrac look more appealing than QS. I see they have 10kW air-cooled and 20kW liquid cooled. (though the thought of running two coolant hoses down the swingarm kind of makes my head hurt).

A hub motor would avoid the whole shaft drive issue.

yes, adding unsprung weight - but it's a Ural. It's not exactly sport suspension to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like
    A hub motor, used to turn the drive shaft, would work. Enertrac actually did some vehicles using their hubbies to drive drive shafts, or axles. Using a hubbie as a mid-drive with small reduction is a common way to improve performance, and avoid unsprung weight, in E-assist.

https://www.electricbike.com/12-ebik...-as-a-non-hub/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    A hub motor, used to turn the drive shaft, would work. Enertrac actually did some vehicles using their hubbies to drive drive shafts, or axles. Using a hubbie as a mid-drive with small reduction is a common way to improve performance, and avoid unsprung weight, in E-assist.

https://www.electricbike.com/12-ebik...-as-a-non-hub/
    Oh that is really interesting! Not at all what I was expecting but that's really cool.

I was thinking of replacing the rear wheel of the Ural entirely. Enertrac will lace a custom wheel for you (it seems) so I was thinking of a full drop-in replacement rear wheel. Thus saving having to deal with the shaft at all.
    My concern about the shaft is:
    1) alignment - getting a mid-mount motor and drive shaft properly aligned looks to be a real challenge.
    2) weight & power loss - driving the mass of the drive shaft and the rear bevel gear has to be less efficient than driving the wheel either with a chain or directly (hub).

But on the flip side, will a hub motor have enough power to drive the (relatively heavy) Ural? It's about 750 lbs right now before engine & trans removal.

Really neat idea to use a hub motor in a mid-mount with reduction - hadn't seen that before, thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UralRider87 View Post
    Oh that is really interesting! Not at all what I was expecting but that's really cool.
    driving the mass of the drive shaft and the rear bevel gear has to be less efficient than driving the wheel either with a chain or directly (hub).
    Yeah. And yet Harley chose to run a a bevel gear set to a belt drive...go figure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. And yet Harley chose to run a a bevel gear set to a belt drive...go figure.
    Good point. And in the last comparison I saw, the LiveWire had a greater range than the Zero it was up against. Hm. Perhaps losses aren't all that bad.
    Efficiency vs RPM might be more what I should be looking at...
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. Do you know how the Miata came out? Were they happy with it?