Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New from Ohio

Post Thanks / Like

New from Ohio

Brand new I am a computer programming that has done a few small Ardunio projects that involved lights and DC motors. I am looking for a new long term project and converting a motorcyle peaked my interest. The only mechanical work I have experience with is basic maintenace on my Vulcan S and rebuilding/modifying an old 1981 motorcyle. Aside from the Ardunio project and some basic electric work on the motorcyle I don't have much experience there. However I am here to learn and enjoy myself while I do it. Right now I am stuck using the elmoto sheet to calculate what an ME1507 motor would be capable of and what kind of battery pack I would need.

I would probably just use the bike for commuting 45 miles total with no need to go over 70 or 75 mph. Most of the road is 55mph with a small section of highway that is 65.

I look forward to being part of this community.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Welcome....there's lots to learn by checking the builds here.
    A 45 mile commute with speeds up to 65-70 is very do able.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I've been checking through them sadly another forum I tried had someone certain that would be difficult to acheive. Using the elmoto spreadsheet helped me get back on track though. If you can call a basic parts list being "on track".

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Products and supply chains are changing so fast that you may be surprised what direction you end up going with.
    To prevent a bunch of money going to a product that ends up getting replaced a few years from now, try to stay focused on each item separately. Batteries should be your last purchase unless a screaming awesome deal comes your way.
    Spend more money then you want to on a great controller. This forces you to decide what kind of motor your going to use.
    There are options for motors. I prefer permanent magnet brushless myself.
    I have a Sevcon because that's what was available at a great deal at the time. Sadly that option wouldn't exist to me today.
    SME looks like an awesome controller.
    8090.jpg
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that advise my two top wishlist items were actually a Sevcon (Gen4 LV 300A i beleive) paired with a ME1507. From what I've been reading it seems like the setup of the Sevcon may be pretty tough so I am juggling finding this two items in a preconfigured kit. Otherwise I would need to get the programming software and cables for the Sevcon and I wouldn't be suprised if that would eat up the savings I would have had by not getting a configured kit.

That's good that the batteries should be the last purchase because I haven't been able to source something that looks like it would provide the best range in ah while being between 72 and 96 volts. I started looking at the leaf batteries last night since it seems like I would only need 11-12 of them but right now it looks like there are only old GEN1s with quesitonable life left in them.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I think I may be able to get the Gen 4 72v/80v 500a (size 6) or 72v/80a 350a (size 4) controller with a ME1114. The battery pack I've put togther so far would be a nominal 84v with ~100amh. Would this configuration work for my hope of a 45 mile commuter with speeds up to 70mhp? Would it possibly be able to make it up to these speeds but suffer with slow acceleration?

Something that is throwing me off a little is that the M1114 is described as giving? Continuous current of 125 amps AC (180 Amps DC into the motor control). So I'm not sure if the amps that my battery pack can send to the controller will be enough to truly push the M1114. Any info people can provide to increase my knowledge about this would be great.
    Last edited by RoninKW; 2 Weeks Ago at 1203. Reason: Corrections