Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Using Leaf Battery Modules

Post Thanks / Like

Using Leaf Battery Modules

So from every thing I could find on the forum and Youtue about the leaf battery modules if I want a 72v-96v system I need 10-12 cells. At 12 cells I should have 5.6kwh if the cells can still do tleast 60 amps. I also found a site that talks about the leaf battery cell specs across the generations (less info on the gen3s) and using those specs on the battery calculator site https://power-calculation.com/batter...calculator.php site seems to confirm that 10-12 cells is correct.

I've found some local guys with strong gen3 and gen1 cells however the sellers are saying that I would need 19+ cells to get 72v.

I think you need 19s lipo cells. The pack voltage is 3.8v x 19S = 72.2v
    - From one seller (pack is encased so guessing its a gen1)

These modules are locked in a 4s configuration, so I can do 4s, 8s, 12s etc. I have Chevy Bolt batteries that I can reconfigure in any way I want. I have a 18s 68v 165Ah pack for 72v systems for $2,600 with BMS and everything. I can make an 11s if that's what u want, that would be 41.8v 165Ah that would cost around $1,800
    - From a second seller (maybe gen3 - Each pack has two sets of terminals and minimal casing)

Do I understand what I've been reading wrong and I need more than 12 cells or are these sources incorrect?

I am hoping to pair this with a ME1507 and Sevcon gen4 DC (14V to 150V DC). Anyones experience would be greatly appreciated.

I do need to strart looking for programming for that pairing.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend a SME controller. Sevcon is difficult to program. I am running a SME controller and a ME 1507 in the drag bike now.

Ed

Drag bike.jpg
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630, 5511, 5512

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of Bolt batteries, check out this article that was in my newspaper yesterday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    Speaking of Bolt batteries, check out this article that was in my newspaper yesterday.
    Well guess I'll avoid the bolt batteries. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    If using Gen3 you need either 5 or 6 to get 20s or 24s 112Ah. Each pack is actually 4s2p so roughly 16V (2x56ah) 112Ah.
    Highly recomend them.
    You can take a glimpse of them in my Kawasaki ZXRE build.
    Greets
    Flo
    Last edited by flo; 23 August 2021 at 1300.

6. Likes RoninKW, Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKW View Post
    So from every thing I could find on the forum and Youtue about the leaf battery modules if I want a 72v-96v system I need 10-12 cells. At 12 cells I should have 5.6kwh if the cells can still do tleast 60 amps.
    You are using the word 'Cells' in reference to what are in fact more correctly described as 'Modules' - this is the source of the confusion which you outline farther down.
    That point aside, the essence of what you're saying here is correct.

I also found a site that talks about the leaf battery cell specs across the generations (less info on the gen3s) and using those specs on the battery calculator site https://power-calculation.com/batter...calculator.php site seems to confirm that 10-12 cells is correct.
    Also correct where your use of the word 'Cell' is, in context, acknowledged as being in fact a 'Module'.

I've found some local guys with strong gen3 and gen1 cells however the sellers are saying that I would need 19+ cells to get 72v.
    These guys are talking about 'Cells', not modules, hence the disparity.
    Gen1 Modules contain 4 Cells, 2S2P (2 in Series, in 2 Parallels) giving them a voltage equivalent to that of 2 cells.
    Hence your assertion of 10 modules for 72V is precisely the same as their assertion of "19+" (20 in fact) Cells for the same voltage.

- From one seller (pack is encased so guessing its a gen1)
    Sounds right, if the shoulders aren't visible and there are 3 terminals, it's a Gen1
    Shoulders visible showing white separators, and 3 terminal is a ... well I'm not sure Gen2 is fair, but lets say Gen1.5 (Lizard pack).

- From a second seller (maybe gen3 - Each pack has two sets of terminals and minimal casing)
    That's a Gen2. 4S2P (4 cells in series, 2 parallels).
    Nominal Module voltage of 14.4V, so you'd need 5 of these.
    I think they are also 50Ah cells over the 30Ah in the previous packs, so near twice the energy per module (100Ah as opposed to 60Ah).
    I say think as I can't recall whether the 30kWh pack used that 8cell format or not - I'm inclined to think 'not' but I could stand to be corrected on that point.

Do I understand what I've been reading wrong and I need more than 12 cells or are these sources incorrect?
    Happily, you are all correct. It was the nuance in the terminology and the apparent failure of the others to grasp the context in which you were using the word 'Cells' which caused the confusion.

I am hoping to pair this with a ME1507 and Sevcon gen4 DC (14V to 150V DC). Anyones experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Haven't used that pairing myself but there will be plenty who can advise.
    Last edited by Spoonman; 10 September 2021 at 1412.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Happily, you are all correct. It was the nuance in the terminology and the apparent failure of the others to grasp the context in which you were using the word 'Cells' which caused the confusion.
    Thank you for confirming and the corrections.