Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EVcycle View Post
    Progressive has ours. Tell them the CI is zero. That means electric. $97 for liability.
    I have progressive as well, but they just counted mine as a 93 GSXR 1100, which means about $550/year.

What is CI? Carbon...something?
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    What other insurers are actually insuring electric conversions? Do you tell them it is a conversion? Do you get it insured for the conversion costs? My 85 VF500 isn't worth much, but the extra 5-6K or so that i put into it for the conversion are...
    EVs: 2007 Zapino Scooter, Honda VF500 Conversion (electriceptor.wordpress.com), Red Nissan LEAF SL (Arrived!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Progressive was the first company I found that was even willing to talk to me. They were only willing to provide liability insurance, and gave me a rate that is equivalent to the gas version of the bike. They said full comprehensive would be difficult b/c they do not know the value of the bike and components. I was still very content with that.

Not to be taken seriously DaveAK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    I have progressive as well, but they just counted mine as a 93 GSXR 1100, which means about $550/year.

What is CI? Carbon...something?
    I'm guessing displacement in cubic inches? Most bike insurance is on engine size if I recall. Still, when I go a quote for mine I did it as an 84 GPz900R. I might have to revist that when the time comes.

I'm insured with Geico and just did an online quote. One of the questions was about motor modification/replacement. I put in that it was electric and total value of modifications was $5K. Don't know how the program handled that.
    Last edited by DaveAK; 15 March 2011 at 0921.

teddillard
    I'm using Commerce, the same company that I have for my other vehicles. The agent said it's just an '84 Honda VF500F, as far as she was concerned... and in Massachusetts, one learns to stop asking questions, if the Commonwealth deigns to grant you the appropriate authorizations...

Post Thanks / Like
    What concerns me about having it listed as the original ICE bike is: what happens if I lay it down and need to cover a new motor or batteries? Will they cover it, or will they come back and say "why are you claiming $3000 for a battery?"
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    What concerns me about having it listed as the original ICE bike is: what happens if I lay it down and need to cover a new motor or batteries? Will they cover it, or will they come back and say "why are you claiming $3000 for a battery?"
    That's why when I got a quote I listed the value of the modifications. When I actually get the insurance I'm going to speak to an agent to insure it for it's modified value. I've heard horror stories of people insuring conversions and only getting paid for the value of the donor vehicle. I've a lot invested in this bike and I'm concerned that either it will get stolen, or burst in to flames. Either way I want to get my money back.

teddillard
    Why would you go and do something like that?

Honestly, though, it gets down to a religious discussion pretty quickly- I insure my bike because the law requires it, and to protect myself against any liability I'd incur by causing damage or injury. Any additional insurance that's not required by law I avoid. I guess if you're looking for replacement value, you have to go the long route and have in inspected and valued, but I can see nothing but nightmares here in MA, to get that done.

Then there's the insurance game... say you pay the hefty premiums (theft, for example, around here isn't even close to worth the premiums, Dave) and then for whatever reason you try to collect. Ever tried that? I have. It doesn't go so good. But I'm not bitter. Noooo no.
    Last edited by teddillard; 15 March 2011 at 1032.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddillard View Post
    Why would you go and do something like that?
    Well, I dropped it in my wife's flower garden the other day. Now she parks her car so I have more room to maneuver out of the driveway...

Honestly, though, it gets down to a religious discussion pretty quickly- I insure my bike because the law requires it, and to protect myself against any liability I'd incur by causing damage or injury. Any additional insurance that's not required by law I avoid. I guess if you're looking for replacement value, you have to go the long route and have in inspected and valued, but I can see nothing but nightmares here in MA, to get that done.

Then there's the insurance game... say you pay the hefty premiums (theft, for example, around here isn't even close to worth the premiums, Dave) and then for whatever reason you try to collect. Ever tried that? I have. It doesn't go so good. But I'm not bitter. Noooo no.
    All good points. I guess a $500 premium is probably more than the replacement cost for any parts that might get damaged (unless I total the thing). Theft isn't a big deal here either...besides, I'm not sure what someone would do with my bike. Selling parts from a 93 gixxer isn't going to net very much, and could you imagine someone trying to sell my bike on CL?
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you Ted, and quite honestly I've always taken the easiest/cheapest route with insurance. I either want the $97 premium to meet legal requirements, or I at least want the illusion that they'll pay me for replacement batteries if I have to pay for a $500 policy. I'll investigate what they offer and make a decision based on that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast